Chapter 26

The Counsel was an uproar, I was sitting beside Tristan as he relayed my news. Unconsciously leaning closer as everyone started roaring ideas around us. Finally Tristan silenced them all with a snarl, commanding attention back to him. He was in charge of the planning of this battle and while his parents gave advice when necessary this was there way of prepping Tristan for when he succeeded the throne I guess.
"We need to create a plan, one that can be kept secret to stop this attack. Now does anyone have any ideas?"
A battle hardened looking man spoke up.
"How about we just have our men surrounding the only exit of the maze and greet them with a surprise?"
Tristan pondered the idea,
"Hmm I don't think we should let them get that close if we can help it."
"We could position people in the maze?" Someone else suggested.
"Again that would create confusion on our part." He let out a sigh.
"We need a plan, that much is vital."
Mulling over my various thoughts, my mind returned to the many books I'd read drawing inspiration from them. Clearing my throat I spoke up, slightly intimidated by all the eyes that swivelled to me.
"What if we set traps in the maze? There's so many ways people could get lost and so many turns. We could set traps around corners for people to bump into. And we have the advantage of getting there first. Meaning we could position people or archers in the centre structure so the could have a clear view and fire at those trying to make it past. Then as a last resort have people at the entrance/ exit to get rid of the remaining survivors."

Most of the men looked stunned at my ideas, while others nodded in approval. Until the man that had first spoke opened his mouth.
"While that is a good idea, it's still not enough for the sheer mass of people trying to get through."
I saw Tristan nod in agreement, but I took no notice as another idea hit.
"Then we can change the maze!"
"What do you mean?" Asked Tris confused.
"Think about it, we could dig up and re arrange the hedges, or plant some where they weren't before things like that. This would confuse them as the paths they thought they knew or routes they are planning to take would be gone. We would have the advantage and be able to ambush them!"
Slowly a smile stretched over Tris' face.
"That is brilliant."
I grinned, before that faded as my thoughts wandered to the fact I had just discussed killing people so openly. But I suppose it was either kill or be killed here. Guessing my thoughts Tristan grabbed my hand, holding it as he outlined the plans based off my ideas and gave orders to make it happen.

A day later and the work was well under way, while it had to be kept quiet. My plan was being put into action. I'd seen Tris only an hour last night and he'd been gone when I awoke today. I was still forbidden to leave the room and the two guards posted outside made sure I stayed put. Frustration built up, I wasn't defenceless and I could look after myself. Eyeing the door I thought of ways to get out, I had to at least see Tristan.

Suddenly a need to see him built up and I had to get out of this room. Stalking to the door I flung it open, determined to find him. The guards stopped me trying to escort me back inside.
"Luna you must be out here, we were ordered to make sure you stayed." 
"Well I've just received a message from Tristan and he wants me to meet him." I tapped my head implying that he had mind linked me and prayed it would work.
"I don't know, I don't think you should."
The guards looked anxious and I knew I had to act quickly.
"I don't think he'd want to be kept waiting. He's not the most patient."
After only a long second more of hesitation, the guard nodded his head. "Then we shall escort you."
"No need I will go myself, go take a break."
"But Prince Alpha Tristan ordered us."
"And now I'm giving you an order, go and have a break." I said sternly.
The two guards bowed their heads before hurrying off and I went the opposite way to find Tristan's office. 

Arriving at his door I took a deep breath praying he wouldn't be too mad, before knocking. The door flung open to a livid Tris. I nervously shuffled under his gaze.
"I told you not to leave the room." He said tightly.
"How did you know it was me?" I asked anxious.
"You think I don't recognise my own Mates scent. Now what are you doing here."
"I um, I just wanted to see you." I pleaded.
At that his eyes softened before he opened the door wider to let me in. Crossing to his desk, I skimmed the scout reports taking not of the many battle plans. Turning around, I let out a breath realising how close Tristan had moved to me.
"We need to talk about the other day," I started. Tristan winced, but I continued.
"Look I'm sorry..."
He held up a hand.
"No don't you dare apologise, it is I who is sorry. Look I over reacted, it's just I can't stand the thought of you being with anyone else. I know you're human and don't feel the bond as I do but it would kill me if you ever left."
I felt a pang of guilt as with the battle due in less than a week, my family had crossed my mind more frequently. What would I do if faced with that choice.

Shaking off these feelings I looked into Tristan's green eyes, seeing the concern they possessed for me.
"You won't lose me." I replied. I stepped forward wrapping my arms around him he seemed shocked at first before settling into my embrace. He pulled me closer resting his chin on top of my head. I felt the vibrations in his chest as he broke the silence.
"I need you to give a speech with me, asking the whole kingdom for support. You have done an amazing job raising morale so far. But this speech needs to be our final push for loyalty. The people listen to you Bree, they need you, I need you."
I took his hand,
"Then I will help you."

AN: Sorry for the short chapter but what do you think? Xxx