Chapter 12

This chapter will get a little dark halfway, just saying in case you don't want to read any of that or you feel disturbed easily. XD nothing big though.

* * *

I refrain from the urge to run to my bedroom and cry my heart out to suffocate myself on the bedsheets like many teenagers would do. It's my mother who should be crying, feeling ashamed of herself by cheating on her husband and abandoning her family. She doesn't deserve my tears.

Dad gives me a hug and whispers, "Sorry." I look up to him, a big lump in my throat starting to build up, "Why didn't you say anything before?"

He rests his chin over my head, "I don't know, somehow I thought I would be able to make her change her mind and we would come back home together," We released from our hug, "After Joshua missing, she started to go out more often with the man and asked me for the divorce. I was about to kneel down to your mother, can you believe that Andrea? Your father was going to beg your mother to think over everything and then act like nothing ever happened." He lets out a very weak sigh and straightens himself up when he sees Megan enter the kitchen with an evident worried expression.

"Daddy, what's the matter?" She looks down and gives a small pout, "Was that your favorite plate? I'll fix it!" I remember that I broke the dish and get a broom to clean it up.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Dad went to his meet up with the detectives while me and Megan stayed home.

I'm waiting impatiently for her outside the bathroom door since she's taking forever to take a shower.

"Meg! I need to use the bathroom, I'll die if you don't finish soon!" I say, tapping my foot.

"Nuh-uh, your bladder will explode! I'm almost finished." she sings.

My phone starts to ring.

I used to be love drunk, but now I'm hungover
I'll love you forever, forever is over!

Ugh, I need to change that ringtone, but I love the song though.

I press answer, "Hey, May."

"Girl, I've missed you. How is everything over there? And how could you tell Seth about your dad before moi?" she says, almost scoldingly at that last part.

I start to do that I-really-need-to-pee dance, "Well uh, not so good! Mom's out of her mind and we're still hoping for Josh to appear. And about Seth, I think I'm-"

Megan swings the door open, "The bathroom is all yours!" and skips along the hallway to her room, drying her hair with her towel.

I rush into the bathroom and slam the door shut. I'm about to unzip my pants when I realize I'm still on the phone, "May! I-I have to pee!"

"I know Andy. We, as humans, all have to pee during certain times of the day." She laughs.

I squirm around, "No, like, now! I'll call you back tonight, 'kay?"

"Oh, sure! Wait, you're taking that long?! Never mind, get to your duties. Bye!"

I decide to take a quick shower after finishing my 'duties'. After that, I change into some khaki shorts, a red shirt with a white hoodie on top and some sneakers I found under the depths of my bed.

I've been wanting to take Megan to the movies, so I asked her if she wanted to go and she said she wanted to see 'goosebumps'. I just hope it's a good movie.

I brush my hair and hear a loud thud coming from the back of the house. I pause and turn my head to my door entrance.

What the hell was that? it sounded like someone fell hard out there.

Megan runs into my room with her eyeballs wanting to fall out, "Andy, I heard a loud noise from the backyard!" she shrieks, "I think someone is out there."

I grab her shoulders, "Okay, calm down. If someone tries to break in, the alarm will sound. I'll go check it out, stay here."

"Um, be careful." She sits on the small sofa that's against my window and scrunches her shirt anxiously. I grab a hair tie and tie my hair up quickly, heading to the staircase.

As I'm halfway down, I can hear someone trying to pick at the back door, but there's no alarm going off whatsoever. I hurry down the stairs to grab a baseball bat from the closet that's beside dad's room and a knife from the kitchen. My heart beat rises quickly. I rush back up the stairs and enter my room only to find out that Megan is nowhere in sight.

I whisper/yell, "Megan, where are you?!" I grab my phone from the nightstand and see her coming out of my closet, utterly scared and shaking. I sigh in relief, "We need to get out, NOW. I'm calling the cops."

As I'm dialing on my phone, we are startled by a loud noise of glass shattering. The intruder broke a window.

Ahh, there's the alarm.

Wait, someone just broke into our house.

Oh God.

They won't answer my call! I lock the door, open the curtains and the window. I grab Megan and hide with her inside my closet. I keep insisting on 911 until they finally pick up.

The voice of an elder woman answers, "911, what is your emergency?"

"Y-yes, we have an intruder in our home. The person just entered," I squeak. The person starts to throw and break things from what seems to be the living room. I give her the address since I'm not calling from a landline.

"Alright, the police is on their way. Your house alarm gave the signal. Now, where are you hiding?" she inquires.

"Thank goodness.. I'm hiding in the closet with my little sister. We were about to leave but then the intruder entered before we could manage." My voice shakes uncontrollably.

"Relax and breath, sweetie. Everything will be alright."

We find out the intruder is a man when he yells, "Hello, anybody there? Come out, don't be shy! I have a gun so we can have some fun!" He laughs wickedly.

Megan starts to pour down tears and buries her face into me. I hold on tight to her and start to sob on the phone whispering, "Ma'am, he's coming upstairs!"

"Don't hang up on me, darling! I want to make sure you two make it without any harm. The police just informed me they are almost there, try to calm your sister down and don't make a sound."

I put my phone down and caress Megan's hair softly. Suddenly, the man's footsteps make a halt in front of my bedroom door and tries to open it.

He yells, "Why is this door locked?! You must be really stupid." He starts to kick at it. I close my eyes shut and sob silently.

Bam!

He knocked down the door.

Oh my God, he's inside my room and breaking everything. I can hardly breathe. He stops and paces around, "What a disgusting sight, a sissy's bedroom." he continues to pace around and stops, "Stupid b*tch, she left from the window." he grunts.

Police sirens can be heard from the distance. "Damn, the cops! I haven't even looked around yet." he curses something else under his breath and marches towards the door.

Megan is up to the point where she wants to let out a scream, I cover her mouth quickly mouthing her to stay strong and be quiet.

It seems like the police are getting closer and closer, but not soon enough. The intruder might even escape before they arrive. I take a deep gulp, knowing what I have to do.

I give my sister a soft kiss on the head, stand up and grab the bat. I tell her to stay hidden and promise her that he will not get away with this.

I run downstairs swiftly and head to the backdoor. I can now see the back of the man, he is buff and has an average height. He is about to exit, but I scream at him, "Where do you think you're going?!" He seems caught in surprise and turns around to look at me. He laughs at my poor attempt at being brave and strikes out a pocketknife aiming at my direction.