6. Darkness At Home Base

"And I was nearly scared to death," ~ You Be The Anchor That Keeps My Feet On The Ground, I'll Be The Wings That Keep Your Heart In The Clouds, Mayday Parade

The next day, Tom the Innkeeper wakes Harry and I up, with a cup of tea for us both.

We get dressed, and begin trying to persuade Hedwig to get back into her cage, when Ton barges into our room, pulling a sweatshirt over his head, and looking irritated.

"The sooner we get on the train the better, the better," he says. "At least I can get away from Percy at Hogwarts. Now he's accusing me of dripping tea on his photo of Penelope Clearwater. You know," Ron grimances, "his girlfriend. She's hidden her face under the frame because her nose has gone all blotchy..."

"That's a bit rude," I comment half heartedly, stroking Hedwig fondly with two fingers.

"We've got something to tell you," Harry begins, sending me a grim glance. But he stops as Fred and George barge in, to congratulate Ron on infuriating Percy again.

The five of us head downstairs for breakfast, where Mr Weasley is reading the front page of the Daily Prophet with a furrowed brow and Mrs Weasley and Mrs Saunters are telling Hermione, Tay and Ginny about their 'old flames' from their time at school. All of them are extremely giggly.

"What were you saying?" Ron mutters, as we sit down beside Asher, who is trying to open a packet of chips with his teeth.

"Having fun there, Asher?" I laugh, as he finally gets the packet open, sending a satisfying pop across the room.

"Indeed," he grins, crunching down on a chip.

"Later," I then hear Harry murmur, as Percy storms in.

We have no chance to speak to Ron, Mione or Tay during the chaos of leaving; as we're too preoccupied heaving our trunks down the stairs, and piling them up by the door. Hedwig and Hermes (Percy's owl) are perched on top of their caged, beside our trunks, spitting loudly.

"It's alright, Crookshanks," Hermione coos, "I'll let you out on the train."
"You won't," Ron snaps. "What about poor Scabbers, eh?"

He points at his chest, where a large lump indicates that Scabbers is curled up inside his pocket.

"Come on, Ron, cut the tiger some slack," Tay says, running her hand down Crookshank's back, making him hiss irritably.

She recoils quickly, and wipes her hand down the side of Harry's shirt.
"Bloody cat," she mutters, frowning at Crookshanks.

Mr Saunters, who was waiting outside for the Ministry cars, pops his head in and speaks;

"They're here," he says. "Haylee, Harry, come on."

Mr Saunters marches Harry and I across the short strength of pavement towards the first of two old-fashioned cars, each of which are being driven by furtive looking wizards, wearing suits of emerald velvet.

"In you get, Haylee, Harry," Mr Saunters says, looking up and down the crowded street.

We get into the back of the car, and we're joined by Hermione, Ron, Tay and Percy.

We reach Kings Cross Station with twenty minutes to spare; the ministry drivers find us trolleys, and they unload our trunks, before driving away.

Mr Saunters and Mr Weasley keep extremely close to Harry and I all the way into the station; Mr Weasley is constantly brushing against Harry's elbows, and Mr Saunter's hand never leaves my shoulder.

"Right then," Mr Weasley says, glancing around. "Let's do this in pairs, as there are so many of us. I'll go through first with Harry."

Mr Weasley strolls towards the barrier between platforms nine and ten, pushing Harry's trolley and looking very interested in one of the Muggle trains. He sends a meaningful look at Harry and leans casually against the barrier.