10. Deepest, Darkest Fear

"It's the devil that's trying to hold me down" ~ Hold Me Down, Halsey

Turns out that I've missed quite a bit during my visit with Dumbledore; the others visited Hagrid, to find him drunk and almost hysterical.

He was certain that Dumbledore would sack him, but Harry, Hermione, Ron and Tay promised him that we'd back him up, because we saw what really happened.

And then they questioned me about why Dumbledore wanted to see me. I couldn't find it in me to tell the truth, so I just told them that he wanted to make sure that Harry and I were okay after the Dementor incident on the train.

Which they thankfully bought.

It's been a few days since then, and Draco hadn't been in classes, until today, when we have Potions with the Slytherins.

They swagger into the dungeons, Draco's right arm still covered in bandages and bound up in a sling.

And even though I know he really was hurt, I do feel like he's playing it up a bit.

"How is it, Draco?" Pansy asks sweetly. "Does it hurt much?"

"Yeah," Draco says, putting on a brave sort of grimace, but then I are him wink at Crabbe and Goyal.

"Settle down, settle down," Snape says idly.

Snape would surely give us detention if we came in late, not simply tell us to 'settle down'.

He informs us that we're making a new potion today; a Shrinking Solution.

Just behind us, I see Draco setting up his cauldron right next to Harry and Ron.

"He's coming to be closer to me," Tay whispers to me, beaming.

"Yeah," I reply half heartedly, watching her look back at Draco with love in her eyes. I begin cutting my daisy roots.

"Sir," Draco calls out, "sir, I'll need help cutting up these daisy roots, because of my arm -"

"Weasley, cut up Malfoy's roots for him," Snape says, not even looking up.

Not that I can see, but I can tell that Ron's face is as red as his hair.

"There's nothing wrong with your arm," I hear Ron hiss.

"Weasley, you heard Professor Snape, cut up these roots."

I begin to hear Ron hacking at the roots, and I glance back to see them all different sizes.

"Professor," Draco drawls. "Weasley's mutilating my roots, sir."

Snape approaches their table, and it's silent for at least five seconds.

"Change roots with Malfoy, Weasley," Snape says.

"But sir -!"

"Now," Snape says in his most dangerous voice.

I look back again, just as Ron switches the roots. His are cut beautifully, while the ones he cut for Draco are choppy and uneven.

"And, sir, I'll need this Shrivelfig skinned," Draco pipes up again, his voice filled with malicious laughter.

"Potter, you can skin Malfoy's Shrivelfig."

I turn around at the mention of my last name. "Which one?" I ask blandly.

"Mr Potter," Snape says coldly, sending me a glare he reserved for either myself or Harry.

I return to my own ingredients, beginning to skin the Shrivelfig just as Draco's voice meets my ears again.