18. All Nerve; No Spine

"I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, 'cause I'll forget but I'll never forgive you. Don't you know, don't you know? True friends stab you in the front" ~ True Friends, Bring Me The Horizon

Not a single Gryffindor student slept that night, for we were all too alive with worry and, oddly enough, adrenaline. Ron, who was considerably shaken for the entirety of that night, relished in the attention it brought him, and he was more than happy to retell the story to anyone who would listen, rambling about twelve inch long knives and Sirius Black's tattered appearance.

Ron and Hermione continued to ignore each other, despite both mine and Harry's pleas for them to forgive each other. Hermione even threatened to turn Harry in for sneaking into Hogsmede, which I did completely understand seeing as Sirius Black is possibly running around the area. But they went anyway and Harry all but revealed himself to Draco and received a scolding from Snape about how arrogant our father was.

But it is the news of Buckbeak's sentence that brings us all back together, when Hermione comes to us with a letter from Hagrid.

Dear Hermione,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed. Beaky has enjoyed London. I won't forget all the help you have us.

Hagrid

"They can't do this," I say angrily. "Buckbeak isn't dangerous!"

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," Hermione says, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only, I can't see any hope...nothing will have changed."

"Yeah, it will," Ron says fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work alone this time, Hermione. I'll help."

"Oh, Ron!"

Hermione flings her arms around Ron's neck and breaks down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, pats her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Finally, Hermione draws away.

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers..." she sobs.

"Oh - well - he was old," Ron says. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now."

The safety measures imposed on us since Black's second break in make it impossible for us to visit Hagrid in the evening. The only chance we get to speak to him is during class time.

He seems dumb with shock at the verdict.

"'S all my fault. Got tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em..."

"That's still the appeal!" Ron exclaims. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

We begin the walk back up to the castle. Ahead, we can hear Draco, who's walking with Crabbe and Goyal, who keeps looking back, laughing derisively.

"'S no good, Ron," Hagrid says sadly as we reach the castle steps."That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that..."

"Hagrid - " I begin, but he turns around and hurries back to his cabin, his face buried in a handkerchief.

"Look at him blubber!"

Draco, Crabbe and Goyal are standing just outside the castle doors, listening.

"Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?" Draco says. "And he's supposed to be our teacher!"