7. Little Death

"We are not your lovers, we are not your friends" ~ Little Death, You Me At Six

I wake the next morning, the uneasy feeling in my stomach almost gone.

Judging from the limited amount of light spilling through the curtains, I assume it's relatively early. The sound of small snores also indicates that the other girls are still asleep.

An irritable pecking sound appears at my window, and I roll into my back, groaning quietly.

After a few minutes of the sound not going away, I stand up and walk to the window groggily.

I pull back the curtains and open the window slightly, to find a huge brown owl, with a letter attached to its right leg.

The bird begins pecking at my hand, making me hiss in pain.

I rip the letter from the owl's leg, and it flies away, it's huge brown wings flapping in the wind.

Rubbing my stinging fingers, I unfold the letter, yawning loudly.

The lettering is extremely neat and cursive, and it's written in dark green ink;

Haylee,
I'm writing to you to apologise for what I said to you and your brother yesterday. And I hope you're okay now, you looked very shaken yesterday, after the Dementor thing.
I hope that you still consider me a friend after all that. We should meet up after class sometime, friends do that, right?
I hope you have a good first day of class.
Please be careful this year, there are worse things yet to come your way.
From Draco

Ps: watch out, the bird tends to get impatient.

"There are worse things yet to come your way," I whisper to myself, re-reading that line over and over in my head.

Surely he means Sirius Black, but how does he know about that?

"Haylee, we have to get ready to for class," a voice comes from behind me. I quickly fold the note into the palm of my hand, and turn to see Hermione, her wild hair sticking up everywhere.

I nod my head slowly, and we get ready for class.

The three of us meet up with Harry and Ron in the common room, and we walk towards the Great Hall together, making little to not conversation.

When we enter the Great Hall, the first thing we see is Draco, who seems to be entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story. As we pass, Draco does a ridiculous impression of a swooning fit and there is a roar of laughter.

"Ignore him," Hermione tells us. "Just ignore him, he's not worth it."

"Hey, Potters!" Pansy shrieks. "Potters! The Dementors are coming, Potters! Woooooo!"

Giving the group a rude hand gesture, I drop down into a seat at the Gryffindor table, beside George Weasley.

"New third-year timetables," George says, passing them over. "What's up with you two?"

"Malfoy," Ron says, sitting on George's other side with Harry. George looks up just in time to see Draco pretending to faint again.

"That little git," he says calmly. "He wasn't so cocky last night when the Dementors were down our end of the train. Came running into our conpartment, didn't he, Fred?"

"Nearly wet himself," Fred agrees, with a contemptuous glance at Draco. I look over at Tay to see her biting her tonge, clearing wanting to defend her crush.

"I wasn't too happy myself," George admits. "They're horrible things, those Dementors..."

"Sort of freeze your insides, don't they?" Fred says.