17. Gryffindor vs. Ravenclaw

"I love the way you hurt me, it's irresistible" ~ Irresistible, Fall out Boy

Ron and Hermione's friendship is, seemingly, over. They're both so angry with each other that it seems impossible for them to ever make up. Ron is enraged that Hermione didn't take Crookshanks attempts to eat Scabbers seriously, while Hermione is angry because there is, admitedly, no solid proof that Crookshanks ate Scabbers. I have been stuck in between them both, not wanting to pick a side seeing as it's two of my best friends.

But I do believe that Crookshanks ate Scabbers, as does Harry, although against my advice he decided to point this out to Hermione, which lead to her losing her temper with him. Which is exactly why I refuse to tell either of them my opinion.

"Come on, Ron, you were always saying how boring Scabbers was," Fred says bracingly. "And he's been off- colour for ages, he was wasting away. It was probably better for him to snuff it quickly. One swallow - he probably didn't feel a thing."

"Fred!"

"All he did was eat and sleep, Ron, you said it yourself," George adds.

"He bit Goyle for us once," Ron says miserably. "Remember?"

"Yeah, that's true," Harry says.

"His finest hour," Fred says, unable to keep a straight face. "Let the scar on Goyle's finger stand as a lasting tribute to his memory. Oh, come on, Ron, get yourself down to Hogsmede and buy a new rat, what's the point of moaning?"

In a final attempt to raise his spirits, we persuade Ron to accompany us to our final practise before the match, allowing him to ride one of the Firebolts once we're finished training, which certainly takes his mind off of Scabbers.

Madam Hooch, who is still overseeing Gryffindor practises to keep an eye on Harry and I, is just as impressed with the Firebolts as everyone else has been. She takes mine in her hands before take-off and gives us her professional opinion.

"Look at the balance on it! If the Nimbus series has faults, it's a slight list to the tail-end - you often find they develop a drag after a few years. They've updated the handle, too, a bit silmmer than the Cleansweeps, reminds me of the old Silver Arrows - a pity they've stopped making them. I learnt to fly on one, and a very fine old broom it was too..."

"Er - Madam Hooch? It is okay if Haylee has her Firebolt back? Only we need to practise..."

"Oh - right - here you are, then, Potter," she says. "I'll sit over here with Weasley..."

"Harry, I've just found out who Ravenclaw are playing as Seeker. It's Cho Chang. She's a fourth-year, and she's pretty good...I really hoped she wouldn't be as fit, she's had some problems with injuries..."

Wood scowls, clearly annoyed that Cho Chang made a full recovery.

"On the other hand, she rides a Comet Two Sixty, which is going to look like a joke next to the Firebolt."

He gives our broom a look of fervent admiration, and then instructs us to get going.

At long last, I mount my Firebolt mand kick off the ground, zooming up into the air. I exchange a look with Harry, both of grinning widely.

It is better than I dreamed. It turns with the slightest touch; it seems to obey my thoughts rather than my grip. It speeds across the pitch so quickly that my surroundings turn into a green and grey blur. I turn it so sharply that Katie screams and drops the Quaffle, before going into a perfectly controled dive, catching the ruby red ball under my arm.

It is the best practise ever; the rest of thre team, inspired by the midst of the two Firebolts, performed their best moves without fault, and when we hit the ground, Wood doesn't give a single complaint.