22. Cat, Rat and Dog

"If you wanna start a fight, you better throw the first punch. Make it a good one" ~ The Good, The Bad and the Dirty, Panic! At The Disco

My mind goes blank with shock as the five of us stand still, transfixed with horror under the Invisibility Cloak. The very last rays of sun are casting a bloody light over the grounds. Behind us I hear a faint howl of a wolf.

"Hagrid," Harry mutters. Without thinking, he tries to turn back, but Ron and sieze his arms.

"We can't," Ron says, who is as white as paper. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

"How - could - they?" Hermione chokes. "How could they?"

"Come on," Tay says, her voice shaking.

We set off back towards the castle, walking slowly to keep ourselves hidden under the Cloak. Light is fading fast now, and by the time we reach open ground, darkness has settled like a spell around us.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hisses, clamping his hand over his chest. He then comes to a sudden halt, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket. "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still - OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" I whisper. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute - "

"He won't - stay - put - "

Scabbers is plainly terrified. He is writhing with all his might, trying desperately to break free of Ron's grip.

"What's the matter with him?"

"Crookshanks," Hermione suddenly moans. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

I look around to find the small cat getting closer to us.

"Scabbers - no!"

The rat slips between Ron's fingers, hits the ground and scampers away. In one bound, Crookshanks springs after him, and before we can stop it, Ron throws the Cloak off him and pelts away into the darkness.

"Ron!" Hermione moans.

The three of us look at each other before sprinting after him; the cloak streams behind us like a banner as we hurtle after Ron; we can hear his feet thundering ahead and his shouts at Crookshanks.

"Get away from him - get away - Scabbers, come here -"

There is a loud thud.

"Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat - "

Harry, Hermione, Tay and I almost trip over Ron; we skid to a halt right in front of him. He's sprawled out on the ground with Scabbers safely back inside his pocket.

"Ron - come on - back under the cloak," Tay pants. "Dumbledore - the Minister - they'll be coming back out in a minute -"

But before we can cover ourselves again, or even catch our breath, we hear the soft pounding of gigantic paws. Something is bounding towards us out of the dark - an enormous, pale-eyed, jet-black dog.

I reach for my wand, but it's too late - the dog makes an enormous leap and it's front paws hit my chest. It keels over backwards in a whirl of hair; I feel it's hot breathe and see it's inch long teeth.

But the force of its leap carried it too far; it rollls off me. Dazed and slightly winded, I try to stand up, feeling as if my ribs are all broken.

I watch Ron climb to his feet as the dog springs toward him, knocking Harry aside; the dog's jaws fasten around Ron's leg, knocking him to the ground.

Tay shouts, leaping foward and grabbing onto Ron's outstretched hand; the dog begins to drag them both, as if they're ragdolls.

Suddenly, something hits me hard across the face and I'm knocked off my fert again. I hear Hermione and Harry shout in pain too, as they too fall. I reach for my wand, blinking blood out of my eyes.