21. The Prediction

"Please take me anywhere but here" ~ Anywhere But Here, Mayday Parade

The euphoria that our victory brought lasted a least a week. Even the weathers seems to be celebrating; as June approaches, the days become cloudless and sultry, and all any of us feel like doing relaxing on the grounds with several pints of iced pumpkin juice, watching the giant squid propel itself across the surface of the lake. And as Spring turned into Summer, in the brief span of time when we could afford to relax, I found myself spending a lot of time doing this, with Draco in particular.

But that didn't last for long, as exams are almost upon us. Instead of lazing around outside we're all forced to remain in the castle, trying to bully our brains into concentrating while the enticing wafts of summer air drift through the windows. Even Fred and George have been working; they are about to take their O.W.Ls, which will essentially determine their entire futures. Percy, however, is about to take his N.E.W.Ts, which is the highest qualification that Hogwarts offers. As Percy hopes to enter the Ministry, he needs top grades. He has become increasingly edgy, and gives very severe punishments to anyone who disturbs the quiet of the common room.

In fact, the only person who is more stressed out than him is Hermione. We've all given up asking how she is attending so my classes, but none of us can restrain ourselves when we see her exam timetable, which reads;

MONDAY

9 o'clock, Arithmancy

9 o'clock, Transfiguration

Lunch

1 o'clock, Charms

1 o'clock, Ancient Runes

"Hermione?" Ron says cautiously. "Er - are you sure you've copied down these times right?"

"What?" She snaps, picking up her timetable and examining it. "Yes, of course I have."

"Is there any point in asking how you're gogin to sit two exams at once?" I ask.

"No," she says shortly. "Have any of you seen my copy of Numeracy and Grammatica?"

"Oh, yeah, I borrowed it for a bit of bedtime reading," Tay says, but very quietly. Hermione begins shifting heaps of parchment around on her table, looking for the book.

I look away when I hear a rustle at the window. Hedwig flutters through, a note tucked tightly in her beak.

"It's from Hagrid," Harry says, ripping the note open. "Buckbeak's appeal - it's set for the sixth."

"That's the day we finish our exams," I say, beginning to help Hermione search for the book.

"And they're coming up here to do it," Harry continues. "Someone from the Ministry of Magic - and an executioner."

Hermione looks up, startled.

"They're bringing the executioner to the appeal! But that sounds as though they've already decided!"

"Yeah, it does," I say slowly.

"They can't!" Ron howls. "I've spent ages reading up stuff for him, they can't just ignore it all!"

I have a horrible feeling that the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures have already made up their minds, simply because of Lucius Malfoy's power. On several occasions I have overheard Draco sneering about how certain he was that Buckbeak would be killed.

*~*

Exam weeks begins and an unusual hush falls over the castle. Myself the rest of the third years emerge from the Transfiguration room on Monday afternoon limp and ashen-faced, comparing our results and moaning.