14. The Truth Hurts

"I found out, finding out isn't the worst part" ~ Both Sides of the Story, We Are The In Crowd

I don't have a very clear idea of how Harry and I managed to get back into the Honeydukes cellar, through the tunnel and into the castle once again. All I know is that the second trip seems to have taken no time at all, despite the tense silence between us. I barely noticed what I was doing, because my head was still pounding with the conversation we heard.

Black was named godfather to Haylee and Harry...

Hermione, Ron and Tay don't speak a word to us at dinner and when we return to Gryffindor Tower, we sneak back up to our respective dormitory's alone, without w word to our friends. I change out of my snow soaked clothes and into my warm plaid pajamas, shivering slightly in the cool breeze.

Despite the fact that it is still relatively early, I collapse into my bed and bury myself underneath my duvet, curling up into a ball.

As I close my eyes, images flash through my head; images from the leather bound photo album that Hagrid gave us in our first year.

One photo in particular burns underneath my eyelids; my parent's wedding day. I can see my father waving up at me, beaming with his jet black hair that we inherited from him. I can see my mother, entirely happy, arm in arm with dad. And I can see him, standing beside our dad. I've never thought about it before.

I can see his sunken, yet handsome face, full of laughter and love. I wonder if he was already working for Voldemort on this day, was he already planning our parents death? Did he realize that he would be facing twelve years in Azkaban for his crimes that would make him a changed man?

But the Dementors don't even affect him. He doesn't have to hear my mum screaming if they get too close and he doesn't have to relive his most traumatic experiences.

I hear the dormitory door open and I squeeze my eyes shut, pretending to be asleep.

"Haylee?" says Hermione, her voice uncertain and concerned.

I don't move a muscle, and she soon leaves again.

A hatred that I've never felt before courses through my veins like a poison. I can see Black laughing at me in the darkness whenever I close my eyes.

*~*

"Haylee, you - you look terrible."
I hadn't gotten to sleep last night until daybreak, and I woke to find the dormitory deserted.

The common room was also empty, save for four people; Ron, Hermione, Tay and Harry.

"Where is everyone?" I ask hoarsely, looking carefully at Harry, who looks just as bad as I feel.

"Gone! It's the first day of the holidays, remember?" Ron says, watching me closely. "It's nearly lunchtime, Hermione was going to go and wake you up in a minute."

I give a weak nod and sit down beside Harry, staring outside at the windows as snow falls gracefully and sticks to the ground.

"You really don't look well, you know," Hermione says, peering anxiously at us, "neither of you."

"I'm fine," Harry says.

"Haylee, Harry, listen," Tay says, exchanging a look with Ron and Hermione, "you must be really upset after what we heard yesterday. But the thing is, you can't go and do anything stupid."