19. Forget, Don't Forgive

It is at least midnight by the time I hear footsteps coming from the dormitories. Expecting a random first year, or a seventh year couple sneaking out, I don't bother checking.

But as the sound of bare feet against the ground grows nearer to me, I glance over my shoulder to see Harry, standing in his plaid pajamas.

"Come to have a go at me, too?" I mumble. "I don't blame you."

He shakes his head, seeming to have finally found his words from earlier. "I couldn't sleep so I came down here. Can I sit?"

I nod, motioning at the spot beside me with my hand. He sits down, creating an apprehensive silence between us.

"You and Malfoy then, hey?" He finally says, shifting slightly to face me.

I nod again. "I really am sorry I didn't tell you."

"Just - I don't understand...how? When?"

"Last year, right before I was taken into the Chamber, he found me and asked for a truce between us. We've been friends ever since then. And then I began feeling jealous of him and Tay," I tell him. "It was the night that Black first broke into the castle that I figured out that I liked him. The same day she got her heart broken..."

He nods, clearly trying to be understanding. "When did you - er - get together?"

"Around Christmas," I whisper. "Today was my first kiss. It should have been something that I want to remember. It's not."

"I'm sorry, Hayles," he says, "I should have stood up for you today."

"No, you shouldn't have. I deserved everything Taylor said," I say.

"Not all of it," Harry tells me. "Ron and I were talking. He's just as mad at you, but we both agreed that Tay said some things she shouldn't have."

I sigh. "I feel like we haven't had a proper conversation in years. What happened to us? We use to be inseparable."

"We still are," he says. "It's just, a lot of stuff has happened. You've changed. And you always seemed to go and talk to Hermione about everything over me."

"You're one of my best friends, Harry, there's just some things I can't tell you, but I can tell Hermione. The same way you can tell Ron things that you can't tell me. But we're family, Harry, the only family that we have is each other. And besides, how would you have reacted if I told you I was dating Draco, your worst enemy?"

"Better than finding out through someone else."

"Harry - "

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I can't stop you from dating Malfoy and I know you wouldn't be with him if he wasn't nice to you. But just know, as your big brother - "

"By two minutes - "

"- I am obligated to hex him if he ever hurts you."

I laugh. "Of course."

"So, everything's okay between us?" He finally asks.

I nod. "And I promise, we'll talk more from now on."

"I love you, Haylee."

"Love you, too, Harry."

And we hug tightly, closer than ever.

"Tay will come around, I promise," he whispers, arms still wrapped around me.

I pull away, smiling sheepishly. "I hope so. I don't want the team dynamics to be ruined because of a petty fight."