Chapter 2 prt 1

Steam from the bathtub swirled in the air, Serin observed it as if from far away. The entire bathroom was filled with the white mist of her bath, she sighed as she sunk deeper in the water. The only sound was the occasional splash of water.

"How was it?"

Hearing the voice, Serin's eyes popped open. She looked around the large room of marble and stone, but not seeing anything she relaxed her back against the bathtub.

"What? You can't answer?"

Sitting up, Serin narrowed her eyes in the thick mist of the bathroom. "Hello—?"

She called out, but no one answered. She knew that most of the staff was below, and that Adam was in the sanitarium. From her connection to them, she asked if anyone had come upstairs. All the replies were negative, dropping the link she tried to relax once more.

"Is it because you feel guilty?"

"Whose there?!"She shouted, in flash she was from her bath and standing in the center of the bathroom nude. "Come out!"

"Kekeke, it's true you're feeling guilty. How amusing."

She jerked around when the voice came from her side, her eyes widened when she met her own reflection.

The reflection was distorted, "W-what?" Serin let out, her voice breathless.

The reflection smirk, her lips still covered in blood. She still wore her white wedding gown, and her eyes glowed yellow. "Are you shocked?" she asked her voice filled with amusement, "You shouldn't be. This is how we always look."

With a giggle the figure twirled around, her hair flying around her head. "Isn't it pretty," She lifted a piece of the torn gown, "I really love, the accent of red on the bottom."

"Shut-up." Serin spoke, her voice trembling, "Shut-up."

The reflection paused in admiring itself, "hmm, are you jealous."

"No! Y-you're not real." Serin hugged herself, trying to keep the cold away. Her hand trembled against her nude skin.

"But I am, I am." The reflection grabbed the sides of the mirror, "I'm more real than you, tsk tsk tsk.

The reflection lane forward as if imparting a sacred secret, "Ryan even likes me better than you~."

Serin's eyes widened as familiar tanned arms wrapped around the alternate her. The other her leaned back in his embrace, "no." Serin mouthed, but the sound wouldn't come out.

"Mhmm, he loves me especially when I'm covered in blood of innocent lives I've taken."

Serin shook her head, "No. This isn't real."

The other she let out a cackling laugh.

Fed up, Serin let out a scream and let her fist slam into the glass shattering it to pieces. Breathing heavily, she stared at the now broken pieces that stills tuck to the wall. Her hand bleeding into the sink caught her attention.

Shocked, she pulled her hand back.

"That won't fix it."

Jerking around, Serin fell back when she came face to face with her alternate self. In fear she stared up at her twin, "Nothing will ever take away the smell of blood from your hands," The other self-lowered to one knee, and leaned close to Serin. Her lips near her ear, "Face it, He only loves you when you're covered in blood."

"NO!"

Serin cringed away from her reflection, her body shaking in fear. The cold marble floor pressed into her skin.

"Madame?"

Serin didn't move when Adam called her name. She stayed crouched, and nude shivering against the side of the bathtub. Adam stared down at her, a complicated emotion flickering across his face, before it settled into a blank stare when the door opened allowing in the female servants.

Half turning he took the long towel from one of the servants and kneeling wrapped the towel around Serin. She leaned into him, he closed his eyes against the emotions that welled up inside him. Clenching his fist once, he relaxed and wrapped it around her. "Madame, the cardinal has returned with guest."

He placed a hand on her bare shoulder, he had to have contact with her flesh to force her into the correct mindset. "Madame it's time to wake up."

Her body trembled once more, her eyes fluttered before they slowly darkened, until a rose-red color over took them.

Adam remained kneeling, as Serin moved away from him and stood the towel falling to the ground.

"Adam, you shouldn't let me sleep for so long." She frowned, "It's troubling if I make Cardinal wait to long."

Adam nodded, standing. "Yes, Madame."

She gave him a once over, before she smiled. "Good, I would hate for Cardinal to think you aren't taking care of his precious wife."

Adam didn't respond, and Serin walked out of the bathroom, the female servants following her out.

Adam lifted his head and watched her leave, a certain sadness leaking into his cold blue eyes.