Chapter 12

Anaea sipped from her cup the sweet ginger flavor filled her nose. Placing the cup gently down, she faced the elegant dark haired women across from her.

Larrisa wore her usual black, but the usual slim cheek bones were gaunt. Her dark eyes hadn't once dimmed in their cruel look.

"Now that we've finished with the pleasantries." She said quietly, placing her own cup down. "What is it you want from me Yorin?"

Anaea didn't flinch from the cold edge in Larissa voice. Letting her face relax into a gentle smile she spoke. "I wanted to know if he is here, is he?"

"No." Larrissa's short answer, was enough to give Anaea a clear picture of the situation here in North Carolina. She knew that Larrissa would protect her children no matter what. That's why her younger daughter Joann was outside the doors of the small sun room dancing with the grand daughter in toe.

While looking outside Anaea expression became saddened, "Has she still not recovered?"

Larrissa followed her gaze, her eyes turning soft. "No." Her fingers pushed against her ring. "Luvigs decision to banish Raquim destroyed her," She turned her gaze back to Anaea, "And his death has made it worse. She refuses to feed or talk. I told her loving someone whose heart had died along with their true match was a curse, but she didn't listen." She looked once more outside, as Joann fell laughing amongst the grass and flowers. "She is truly insane at night, she wonders the halls searching for him, and yet never finding him."

Anaea hand tightened in the folds of her dress, she could hear the blame in Larrissa's voice. But instead of cowering she asked once again, "How has Markus dealt with her condition?"

Larrissa eyes once again became cold, "I've told you, he is not here."

Silently Anaea lifted her chin acknowledging the answer. "That is a shame...I'd hoped he'd give me some info on how he'd come to picking the Cardinal as his fighter."

"Tsk."Larrisa clicked her tongue, her eye narrowing, "Come, Yorin. You are after more than information. You seem to have grown rusty on how to go about getting it." She smirked, leaning back against the leather love seat. "My son, Markus...hasn't been the same since he lost the chance in gaining his father's ability." Larrissa paused, shifting in her seat. "And with the hate from the Deveux for him it wouldn't come his way anytime soon."

"To be sure." Anaea answered, her voice held mild amusement. "He should have checked the bloodlines before he went about playing with the virgins of the ton."

"Yes, but it is too late and the Deveux drag their grudge out too far." Larrisa responded shortly.

Anaea nodded, she too felt the Deveux habit of holding grudges could last too long. "Still, I am not here about your son. I am here to request in your help in dethroning the Cardinal."

"Oh." Larissa expression sparked with interest, "You don't want your son-in-law to be in charge?"

Barely keeping herself from leaping across the table. Anaea clenched her teeth, while keeping her smile in place. "Well, I wouldn't refer to him as my son-in-law. And it isn't that I do not want him to have authority, just not authority over the Lamia Coven. His greed for power, has already caused him to step on to many toes."

"hmm, is that so..." Larissa interest was apparent, "And if I were to lend a hand, what would I get in return?"

Suspicious Anaea narrowed her eyes, "What is it you want?"

"Adam must forgive Markus his crime." It wasn't surprising the request, it was the intensity behind it that took Anaea aback.

Larissa eyes narrowed, "If they allow his return to the Coven, and give him his father title of Artiguan so that our family becomes a part of the coven again. I will help you in your effort to get rid of the usurper."

Anaea knew this deal, would bring trouble but she was desperate enough to make it. "Then you have yourself a deal Lady Artiguan."

**

Gavril sat in his office flipping through the pages of tablet. Hearing a knock at the door, he motioned for the person to enter.

Looking up he frowned once he realized who it was. "D'or did you come to lecture me, or for actual work?"

"To lecture of course." She plopped down in the seat in front of his desk, her eyes narrowed. "How long?"

Gavril didn't look up, "How long what?"

She leaned forward and slapped her hand on his Tablet. Causing him to jerk his head up and meet her knowing gaze. "How long have you been getting the jitters?"

Gavril face became blank, "It's not—."

She moved her hand and leaned back. "Don't." She glared at him, but he could see the taint of worry there as well. "You fought with the elder, you've been rotating women like shoes. You didn't even attempt to fight off your attackers last night." She sighed heavily, "Gavy, you know the signs, you're losing contro—."

"I am not—!" He stopped short realizing he was standing, and was shouting. He look outside through the glass window and could see some of his workers looking back at him. Walking over to the window he pulled down the drapes. "I am not losing control D'or."

"Oh really?" she said standing herself, "Then tell me how long has it been since you actually went to Baian and let him look you over."

Gavril expression became mulish, "He checked me last month."

"Last month?" D'or crossed her arms her brow furrowed in worry, "Gavril you have to find your Bride, or—."

"No." His face hard, Gavril repeated his voice adamant. "No I will not."

"But Gavril if you don't—." D'or didn't finish.

"No, D'or I will not bring a bride in to this world." Gavril walked over to his desk, "And you should know why better than anyone else."

D'or expression became pained, "Gavril, you can't blame yourself. Mom—."

He lifted his head, D'or tongue froze at the tortured look anguish on his face. "He could. He could have saved her by not bringing her into this world. He should have protected her, but he didn't and he acted like it was nothing to—." Gavril stopped lowering his eyes, "D'or leave."

"Gavril." She pleaded.

But he shook his head, taking his seat, "Leave D'or, I have work to do."

Sadly she looked at his lowered head, before she made her way out. The only person that could save Gavril from being swallowed up in their peoples curse was his bride. But if he continued to refuse to search for her. D'or was afraid she would lose her older brother.