Chapter 21

Author: *Grins* Enjoy! Review and, well...love it.

Long after sobbing, and weeping I sat on the floor motionless, starring at the bed stonily. Hopefully I would, myself turn in to stone and I would become emotionless and empty to everything around me.

My head ached from trying to remember things from after Ryan bit me.

I knew about his betrayal...I knew about Gaius shooting me, and I knew I deserved it, but I didn't know anything about what happen in between and why I had sickening feeling that what I didn't remember would be my undoing.

Eventually my stomach rumbled with hunger, and the cramps from not eating. The house was still, and Gaius and Cleo had lone ago left me alone with the painful memories. It wasn't their usual M.O. but I was grateful for it, and I hoped they would hold to it a little longer. As I stood up I swayed, and caught myself by grabbing onto the door handle.

Gathering my strength, I released the handle turning to the face the door that I'd previously been too afraid to face, shakenly I reached out and pushed it down. Hearing the handle click, I let the door open using it's on weight.

Slowly it opened revealing Gaius who stood on the other end, behind him was Cleo who sat indian style on the floor. Humorless reddened eyes met mine, "I told you she'd come out."

"Yeah, well...you didn't say it would take this long." Cleo retorted as she stood, her hair wasn't in some over the top, edgy style, it hung down smooth and black. Her eyes avoided mine, as she shoved her hands into her pockets, "So..are you feeling better?"

Looking at the two of them, I let a smile come to my dry and cracked lips, "For now."

Hearing this, Cleo finally met my gaze and nodded, "Good, lets get something to eat," She walked past Gaius, "I'm starving."

Gaius stepped forward, and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, before he turned and followed after Cleo downstairs.

**

"So," I started after having eaten a sandwhich, drank two packs of blood, and currently eating chips, "What happened to Ryan?"

Everything seemed to freeze at my question, I looked up and blinked, "You guys really froze."

Hearing this, both Cleo and Gaius returned to eating. Cleo was the first to speak, "He's still looking for you apparently."

"Really?" I said thoughtfully, trying to hide the shudder of horror at the idea of him finding me, "So...why hasn't he?" Whatever the reason, I wanted to make sure it remained, and kept him from me...far from me.

"His connection," Cleo paused, her eyes going to Gaius, who shook his head, "She has to know..."

Stopping in my need to inhale chips, I narrowed my eyes n Gaius, "What are trying to hide from me?"

He leaned back, placing his sandwich carefully down his eyes meeting mine, troubled. "Do you really need to know all this...can't you just continue to live as if all of that was a bad dream?" He leaned forward placing a hand on mine, "I just wish for you to have the 'normal' life you wanted, before you got caught up with him."

Placing a hand over his, I smiled sadly, "and how can I do that when my family," I glanced at Cleo, before returning my eyes to his, "Is fighting so hard for me, I can't live my life as if you all aren't doing something dangerous for me. That would be cowardly, and I am no coward."

I retracted my hand and placed it in my lap, "Now, Cleo...tell me, what connection?"

Cleo glanced from Gaius to Serin, before she smirked, "Okay, well it isn't like she's Harry Potter or something...c'mon the girl is a vampire Gaius...she will; and with our help, truly stay safe."

We both couldn't withhold the chuckle at that, before we grew serious .Cleo sighed, crossing her arms her won expression turning grim.

"Serin...remember when we told you that certain vampires reached majority, their gifts would crop up."

Serin nodded, "Honestly I remember my own, but sense you both don't use them often I sort of...didn't think anything special about it."

"Hah!" Cleo scoffed, shaking her head, "That something Anaea doesn't like simply because her gift is so...potent, but for Gaius it would be head rending to constantly read minds...he only does it when asked after all," Cleo said with a smirk, "Why would a vampire have to know others thoughts, and well...how do you think you've been so calm?"

Something past through my memory, "Cleo's been learning how to push emotions on others..."

"Ah," I said mildly surprised pointing a finger at her, before glaring at her, "Thanks...no wonder I kept having episodes when I wasn't around you."

"Yeah," Cleo said sheepishly, "Still not that great at it."

Gaius seeing that we were getting ready to argue cut in, "So..."He leaned forward giving Cleo a annoyed look, "Serin your gift, ties in with the traditional process giving a new head power in the Lamia Coven."

"Okay," I said settling down, "How?"

"Your gift connects you to any one person you've drank blood of, or it could go so deep as those your related to. You're able to control them, and feel them...I guess you could say you're a database of blood."

I frowned, "A-A Database ..."

Gaiu nodded, "Thing is when Luvig gave the spark to you containing the blood of all those who are loyal to him, you essentially became the um," he coughed looking sheepish, "The Vampire...queen..." He said tentatively.

Seeing my disgusted look, he said defensively "Hey! I didn't come up with the name."

Cleo laughed, keeping her mouth covered while simultaneously avoiding Gaius trying to hit her.

Gaius glaring at her, continued talking, "Since Ryan sought control over the vampires...all he had to do was make you his mate, and subservient to him."

"B-but...wasn't I the one who bit him...and...I thought we were mated, why don't I feel..." I shrugged, pursing my lips, "needy for him, aren't mates supposed to be needy for each other?" I asked meeting Cleos and Gaius awkward gaze, "Right?"

Cleo eyes darkened, and sighed no longer laughing. Gaius stood and started moving dishes from the table, "That's why we believe he was never your 'mate' to begin with, remember...Vampires don't have mates...we just, well. Fall in love like everyone else. Anaeas, and Felix think someone or something put a hex on you to make you think you were..." She paused biting her lip.

I hadn't realized I'd been hoping that it's been true love, when a heart broke it didn't shatter and fall away immediately. It was a slow process, as if someone was carving out a piece of heart excruciatingly slowly.

"...love, you think someone put a love spell on me, hah..." I scoffed, lowering my head, I stared at the table top, not a tear falling. I guess even my body had grown tired of crying.

I lifted my head and smiled, getting out my chair, "Well...I think I'll go to my shop and see how everything is doing."

"Now?!"

Gaius said glancing at the clock, it was nearly one in the morning. I nodded, shrugging, "I need some air, and well...I did basically disappear for two days..." I said with a smile, before I ran upstairs.

I needed to contemplate, and think about my next step, and a flower shop seem the best place to do it.

**

The Cardinal eyes narrowed, on the stiffened back of his lover, "What is it?"

She turned her head, looking over her shoulder, "I felt her...for just a moment, she's," She turned back to the crystal ball placing a hand on it, "She's still alive, but..."

"But what?!" Cardinal snapped rising from the bed and walking over to her, "What is it?"

"I couldn't learn her location, but I did get something even better..." She said this as she stood, her lips curled in a sly smiled, as she let the sheet wrapped around her fall, as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, "Her family...I know where they are." She whispered into his ear, like a serpent.