Chapter 23: Light

AN:
Before the chapter starts I wanna thank those lovely people here for leaving me a comment: Dragonixx, PikaPoweh, GVCGurl23, PrincessLyoka, QueenAntonia, FinalScripts, EndieplaysMC, kikiyo-chan, random-pink, Raven_Foxx, Siempie_, EmmoyDino_FTW, MarciStar123, fan_fic_forever, ZamaThePerson & KittyBrine!
As a little thank you to every reviewer, voter and reader the up until now longest chapter I've ever written for #LoversOfFreedom. 3.3k words! ♥ Stay amazing, guys!

Music tip:
Kygo ft. Parson James - Stole the Show

(look at the beginning of the chapter!)

Lovers of Freedom

Chapter 23:
Light

"Jerome? Yes, I've found him!"

With a shaky sigh Adam leaned back into the driver's seat and put his trembling hand onto his forehead, before he looked to the passenger's seat. Mitch's unconscious form would have looked peaceful, if it hadn't been for the dark bruise on his cheek, the fine trail of blood on his face and the painful expression.
It had taken him a whole minute of full-blown panic to realize that Mitch was not dead and still very much alive, no matter how horrible he looked.

"Thank god! How is he? What happened?!"
Jerome's voice was shaking and the relief was unmistakable. After Mitch's message and their unreturned calls, they had feared the worst. Adam had been close to calling the police and Jerome had thrown caution to the winds and begged their still clueless friends to help them with finding Mitch.

"I have no idea, he was unconscious when I found him and he looks horrible. I wanna take him to the hospital, but you said-"

"Fuck! Okay, um... If he doesn't wake up again in the next minutes I'll meet you at the hospital, if he does then decide whether or not it's really necessary. At the ER they'll call the police no matter what you say and we have no idea, what exactly happened between Murphy and Mitch. You really have to talk to him first!"
Adam adored Jerome for actually being able to think straight despite the serious situation they were in. No matter how worried he was, Jerome was still right - regarding whom they were facing bringing in officials could actually do more harm than good.

"Can you update the guys?"

"I'm on it. We'll return to the house for now, if his condition is worse than you thought, inform me asap!"
Jerome wasn't able to hold back the worry for his best friend any longer, but instead of trying to calm him down, Adam simply agreed and then ended the call. His mind was full of worst-case scenarios and just the thought of what Murphy had done to his Canadian fueled the anger in his veins - how was he supposed to put Jerome at ease like that?

Before Adam finally started the motor to leave the scene of crime, he risked another glance at the quiet boy by his side. He should have stopped him from leaving again this evening. He should have protected him from Murphy, after all he had known partly about what he was doing to Mitch. He should have realized that he was more than just a friend to him.