Chapter 10: A First Rate Explosion

A few minutes later, the three of us knocked on Madison's door.

"Do you know where we can get a watermelon?"

Madison blinked at me. Then she blinked at Craig. And one more time at Dave. "What are you doing with --?"

"With Craig? Brady's not home, Kiersten's working and your phone was busy. Who else would I be with?"

"But," she stammered, "I thought that you ... Brady said you were ...?"

She'd talked to Brady?

"Sick?" Dave finished her sentence. "She was sick but, lucky for her, Doctor Craig and I came along with the cure."

"Oh yeah?"

"We could heal you too," Dave told her. "That is, if you have the secret ingredient."

The start of a smile lit Madison's face. "And the secret ingredient is?" she asked while she twirled a strand of coffee colored hair around her finger.

"Watermelon."

Madison giggled for about three seconds. Then she dropped her head and started mumbling. She didn't have a watermelon. She didn't know where we could find one. She couldn't possibly go anywhere with us. She had important things to do.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Like you know," she answered.

Of course I knew. She had more sad songs to listen to. "You know, Heartbreak of the 80's will still be here when you get home."

Her eyes flashed and I thought I might have stepped over some invisible line. Oh well. Sometimes friendship means giving an uncomfortable shove.

Madison shoved back. "I'm sorry," she said. "I forgot to be grateful to you for offering me something meaningful to do like, what is it you're planning? Blowing up a watermelon?" I'd never seen my friend look so old.

"And poop," Dave added. "For scientific purposes only, of course." He grinned at her.

"For science?" she said, and once again the smile appeared.

"Yeah."

"Well then, that makes all the difference."

"Great," Craig said. "Let's go."

Her hand reached for the latch. The screen door opened part way. One foot crossed the threshold. We all stepped back to give her room.

She stopped. "I shouldn't," she said. "I'm pretty sure Jacob and Brady are coming. All they had to do was meet someone about a motor, and then ..."

"An engine," I interrupted. "Motors are --"

"Electric," she said. "I know."

She really had talked to Brady.

Her eyes narrowed. "Maybe you should stay here too," she said. "I bet Brady will be thrilled about your miraculous recovery."

For a second I considered stomping away but then Madison's shoulders relaxed and she smiled a real smile at me. "It'll be like old times," she said. "Just you and me and the boys."

"Hey Madison, Craig and me, we're boys," Dave said. "In case you hadn't noticed."

Madison's cheeks turned as pink as my hair. Oh yeah, I suspected, she'd noticed.