Chapter 27: The Guy Code

Tuesday, June 24,  3:12 AM

Term of the Day: Scrimmage - a preliminary battle.

I feel a scrimmage coming on.

c-bob 2: She's like a Summer Day ~ and I bask in her glow ~ She's the one for me ~ I want her to know ~ oh ~ oh~

summer: QUIT leaving comments.

c-bob 2: Can't sleep, huh?

summer: Nope.

c-bob 2: Me neither. Did you hear the dedication?

summer: Yep.

c-bob 2: Talk to me.

summer: Nope.

c-bob 2: Why not?

summer: Someone will see.

c-bob 2: No they won't. It's the middle of the night. I've got you all to myself (for once).

summer: There's not much to talk about.

c-bob 2: Oh yeah? I can think of a million things.

summer: Really? I can only think of one.

c-bob 2: Let's talk about that.

summer: Nope.

c-bob 2: Then we'll talk about something else. Got any suggestions?

summer: How about this? What are you doing at Craig's in the middle of the night? I thought you were just there to feed the dog – oh, and to read my blog. We can't forget that.

c-bob 2: I tried to leave but Daisy won't let me. She says it's lonely here all by herself. I agree. Why don't you sneak over?

summer: Yeah, right.

Dave explained that his parents were visiting his grandmother for a few days. It was easier to stay at Craig's house to take care of the dog than it was to get rides back and forth. I wanted to ask Dave about his grandmother. The last time he mentioned her, he'd seemed sad. 

Of course, the last time he mentioned her was also shortly before the first time he kissed me, so bringing up the subject was tricky. I plowed ahead anyway.

summer: Tell me about her.

c-bob 2: Her who?

summer: Your grandmother.

c-bob 2: She's, well, she's sick.

summer: Want to talk about that?

c-bob 2: Not really. I just hope she gets better. She's a pretty cool grandma. Did I tell you she took me to my first concert?

summer: Really? Who did you see?

c-bob 2: PaperKut.

summer: You're joking, right? My grandma took me to a concert once: The All Star Pony Princesses Live.

c-bob 2: I never figured you for a Pony Princess kind of girl.

summer: Trust me, I'm not.

Dave Brown's grandma drives a convertible. She plays the harmonica at Thanksgiving. And she loves to golf. At least ... she did before she got sick. He went into silence mode for a few minutes after he told me that. I was figuring we had come to the end of our conversation when he typed: