Chapter Nine

Fallon received word that William had reached Lincoln and there had issued an order to destroy nearly over a hundred Saxon homes to begin constructing a new stronghold of timber, rumored to have two mottes.

So enraged by this arranged marriage, he thought of naught else but to seek his liege and demand reason.

When he arrived to Lincoln and came upon the sight of the magnificent fortress constructed from the hands of previous Saxon titleholders he found himself at awe with William's eagerness to conform England.

At word of his arrival, he and his men were greeted by a squire who immediately took their horses and they were led from the outer bailey to the grand hall.

"Fallon." His name was spoken on as a raspy welcome as Fallon and his men dropped their heads to honor their King.

William stepped forward, dressed in a tunic beneath links of chain that crossed his thick chest and brown woolen breeches that narrowed at the top of his leather boots.

Beneath a set of thick, dark brows shown eyes of intensity that Fallon had grown accustomed to since he had served William at fourteen.

William was a man who showed little to no emotion; reflecting a steel disposition, instilling fear in those who dare rebel against him.

"How goes the assembling of Linden keep?"

"As expected, my liege." Fallon straightened to add, "May I have a word of private, milord?"

William nodded and dismissed the servants. Fallon exchanged looks with his men and one by one they quietly left the hall, leaving the two of them.

"Something troubles you?" William asked as he motioned to a chair.

Fallon settled down across from him. "You arranged a marriage without my consent?"

William's expression remained impassive. "I did."

Fallon felt his temper rising. "Why?" he grounded between clenched teeth.

"You have served me well, Fallon Macaulay, and 'tis time that you settled and take a woman to wife."

"I have no need of a wife." He growled, "Especially a McLeod."

"McLeod is one of the most feared and influential men of England and he has sworn fealty to me."

"He is Saxon. There is many that rebels against you, what's to say he will not do the same?"

William arched a thick brow, "You must have some semblance of trust in the man for you answered his missive, did you not?"

Fallon remained silent. He did not trust McLeod, but a part of him, in the back of his mind, thought of the burned Saxon village, the one he had sworn to protect and failed to do so. Somehow, he imagined this would appease the guilt.

It did not.

William took his silence for an answer. "I ordered this marriage because the woman has a considerable dowry that will please you. I have ordered him to give up his daughter to a Norman warrior of my choosing to seal our bargain. If he so much as violates our agreement, he will be stripped of his lands and cast out like all the rest.

"I do not have the time or patience for a meek wife."

William smirked, "You will one day wish for a bairn to succeed you, no?"