Chapter Thirty-Seven

A ghastly sound expelled from somewhere and Fallon realized the awful cry spewed forth from his throat as his eyes fell on Curran’s motionless body.

          All the rage gathered within him, he spurred forward, heedless to the blades that whizzed by him. If a sword had struck him, he wouldn’t have felt it in that blind haze as a fire propelled him towards McLeod.

         He channeled all his fury into his arm as Alec turned widely about to intercept his powerful blow.

         McLeod’s arm trembled beneath the impact, his knees buckling beneath the imminent force of Fallon’s blade.

         “Where is your King now?” Alec taunted, his grip tightening around the hilt of his sword though he struggled against the blade that hovered above his face.

         Gold eyes burned precariously back at him, “I don’t need my King to kill you.”

         Fallon reacted, rearing back to bring his heel upward to connect promptly with McLeod’s midriff. The sudden maneuver sent Alec sprawled to the ground, landing roughly on his back.

         Fallon stepped forward and raised his blade-

         A small hand gripped his arm, forcing him still. Fallon turned and all the rage in him filtered away at Alana’s lovely face. “Don’t kill him, Fallon.” Unshed tears shimmered in her sea-green eyes, “Let William decide his fate.”

            He stared into her beautiful face and there saw his own pain mirrored. He reached up and gently cupped her cheek.

            The abrupt sound of horses approaching stirred his attention. Fallon lifted his head and saw William coming down the hill, his men following closely behind.

            He leveled a cold glare on McLeod, “I may have spared your life but my King will not be so merciful.”

            Fallon stepped away and Ranulf and Ivan moved forward to seize Alec. He turned and crossed to where Curran lay unmoving.

            He plunged his sword into the earth and knelt down beside him. A tightness squeezed his chest and a wrenching tore at his gut as he stared gravely at his brother.

            He tilted his head to shield his pain as a shudder gripped him.

            “Fallon-“ a pained, hollow voice brought his head upright.

            “Curran.” He breathed incredulously.

            A deathly pallor washed over him, his eyes more silver than they’ve ever appeared; a slight faraway glint overtaking their vividness. “I h-have wronged you.” Every word came out on a shallow breath.

            Fallon winced inwardly, “Nay, brother.”

            Curran swallowed, the small movement causing him great discomfort. “Aye, I tried to kill y-you.”

            “I’m hard to kill.” Fallon teased, though his heart twisted with grief.

            Curran attempted to shake his head but the pain forced him still.

            Fallon inhaled a deep, unsteady breath. “All is forgiven.” He exclaimed truthfully.

            Silver eyes glistened tearfully, “I am not deserving of your f-forgiveness.”