Chapter Twenty-Seven

Alana’s heart lurched against her chest as she stared up at Curran, unsure if she had heard him correctly. “What?”

            His fingers tightened around her arm, “You’re mine now, Alana. I’m taking you back to Linden with me.” He said gruffly, pulling her after him.

            She dug her heels into the ground, “I’m not going anywhere with you!”

            “You don’t have a choice.” He growled, turning around and lifting her up over his shoulder.

            She cried out in frustration and began pummeling his back, kicking fiercely in an attempt to wiggle free.

            He chuckled as he walked with ease to where his horse waited. “Is that how you show your savior any gratitude?”

            “Savior?” she mocked, “You are no savior, you blackheart!”

            He laughed as he set her down by his horse. He reached out and gripped her chin. “I saved your life, lass, don’t you think I deserve an award?”

            Her green eyes sparked daggers, “Not ever.”

            He laughed and she stiffened as he traced a line the length of her cheek. “Your anger only accents your beauty.”

            Her eyes grew round as he tilted his head, realizing his meaning, she pushed against his chest. He snickered at her meager struggles and gripped her neck, stilling her as his mouth captured her lips roughly. Her struggling intensified beneath the pressure of his mouth. His kiss roughened, bruising, as he forced his tongue entry.

            He grasped her waist and jerked her against him. Panic tore through her as she felt his arousal, pressing against her stomach.

            She opened her mouth to him and the kiss deepened, as a moan surfaced from his throat, she sank her teeth into his bottom lip.

            He reared back, tasted blood and hissed a violent curse.

            Trapped between Curran and horse, Alana could do no more than watch the anger contort his dark face.

            For a fraction of a second, she was truly terrified, but considering all she had endured, pushed her fear back into a hollow place, and tilted her chin, meeting his enraged stare.

            “You may strike me all you wish, but rest assured, I will put up a damn good fight.” Nudging her chin a little higher, she persisted, “If you have the intention of ravishing me, than best rely on the notion that I will kill you before I allow you to put your hands on me again.”

            The only sound to permit the silence was her hammering heart as she watched the emotions shift in his face, and than he surprised her by grinning and he said, “I intend to ravish you after I’ve married you.”