Chapter Thirty-Four

Alana stepped back, driven by fear or the sudden fervor pulsing through her body, she didn’t know which.

            His nearness alone unraveled her; she felt the proximity of him like a wave of heat, wrapping her in an instant shroud of sensation.

            Her eyes of their own accord swept the muscled length of him, the small fire glinting sleekly off his massive chest; her mouth went dry as if he drained her sustenance.

            It was so easy to forget he was the infamous warrior known as ‘The Fury’, though she had witnessed his prowess, his ability to make others fear him, respect him, she could not think of him none other than the gentled-warrior she had rescued from the forest.

            She knew that tender side of him others failed to see.

            He took a step toward her and she retreated, forcing a frown to his brow. “Do you fear me, Alana?”

            She lifted her chin, meeting that amber stare and slowly shook her head.

            “Than what is it?”

            “I will not have you take me this way.” She said purposefully, though within she yearned for his touch, his kiss.

            His face furrowed, “Which way?”

            Her chin jutted determinedly, “As if I were a piece of property to possess.”

            She detected a hint of a grin forming at his mouth, “Alana-“

            “Nay!” she stayed him with her hand when he took another step. “I mean it, Fallon. Would you have me unwilling?”
            He appeared completely taken aback, almost as if he had expected her to come rushing into his open arms-and within, she longed to do so, but she needed to know if his heart ached for her as hers did for him.

            She could see the anger forming along with confusion, the uncertainty behind his golden glare, the tension forming in his jaw. “I could have you if it pleases me-“

            “Yes, but it would be forced.” She held her ground, determined not to be swayed in this. She had endured much emotionally as well as physically-if Fallon wished to claim her, she would see it done properly.

            His gold eyes narrowed precariously and she wondered if he would follow through on his threats. “What game is this?”
            She stiffened, “This isn’t a game.”

            “Than what are you playing at?” he stepped closer and she didn’t stop him, “Do you harbor the same feelings as your cousin than?”
            Her eyes flashed daggers, “Nettie’s fear is justified.”

            “Than explain it to me.” He demanded, moving closer.

            Alana inhaled a deep breath through her nose, “Unlike me, Nettie has failed to overcome her demons. Her anger and fear comes from a dark tragedy that lays dormant within her.” Her voice faltered as she felt the sting of tears. “Her father was massacred, slain without cause, and her mother brutally attacked-all this done before the eyes of a helpless child.”

            “This occurred when you were children?” Fallon asked his voice surprisingly soft.

            Alana nodded, “This happened the very day my father was taken from me-by Normans.” When she lifted her eyes to meet his, a single tear fell free of her lashes.