Chapter Twenty-Two

Rosalind spied her soon-to-be-husband and narrowed her eyes in chagrin as he crossed the hall to where she sat at the head of the trestle table.

            She was very displeased; having spent a majority of her evening alone to entertain a hall full of drunken warriors was not how she had anticipated their first afternoon together.

            As he settled at her side, she noticed his face was grim and felt the tension pouring from him in waves.

            “I had hoped you would join me before the evening was through.” She said beneath her breath.

            He said naught and as Rosalind spared him a glance, she noticed the muscle at his jaw was taut. “Where have you been?” she questioned, her aggravation growing with his silence.

            Her question seemed to spark a response for he turned and cast a sharp glare upon her. “My whereabouts are none of your concern, milady, you will remember hereafter to keep your curiosity at bay.”

            He turned away from her and Rosalind’s mouth fell open with disbelief. No one had ever dared talk to her in such a manner! Remembering there were others watching, she clamped her mouth shut and pasted a smile on her face. It mattered not; once they were married things between them would change.

            Was it because she was Saxon? She peered at him beneath her lashes. She knew he had been displeased with their arranged marriage but she believed he would come to terms with it as she had. She was a beautiful woman, of that she was certain, she had many admirers, and her dowry was significant, what man wouldn’t want her?

            Fallon emptied the last of his mead from his goblet and slammed it on the table. He felt the presence at his side of the woman he was to marry but envisioned a different woman in his head.

            When he had come upon Alana and Alec in the corridor, it had angered him beyond reason. Alec was Saxon. Had the two of them been conspiring? Did Alec have a sudden interest in Alana?

            The latter of the two chafed his nerves. The idea of Alana with another man riled his blood. He was not pleased that his betrothed was at Linden and further displeased to find Alana and Alec speaking softly in the hall.

            Gritting his teeth he thought of nothing more satisfying than teaching Alana a lesson. Mayhap he should follow out on his threats and match her with one of his men?

            He peered around the table and his eyes settled on Ivan. Ivan was an awry sort and was not a suitable match for Alana. His gaze drifted to Ranulf. The giant preferred solitude and would not take kindly to having a woman figuratively chained to his side.

            His eyes settled on Gavin and lingered. Gavin would be considerable but his faithfulness was questionable and than he decided against it. Gavin was too much of a libertine to contemplate marrying one woman.