Chapter Twenty-Three

Fallon stepped back from her, his face twisting with puzzlement. “What do you say?”

            Alana snorted, “Are you feigning ignorance?”

            Fallon reached out and gripped her arms, “What are you saying, Alana?”

            She frowned for his expression appeared sincere. “Rowan is dead.” Her voice trembled, “Your men killed him.”

            He blanched and his brows drew together with confusion. “My men had no reason to harm him, let alone kill him.”

            “Your men did more than just kill an innocent man. They burned my village, killed others defending their homes and almost ravished my cousin!”

            His fingers tightened around her arms and she flinched beneath the sudden anger burning sharply in his gold eyes. “Alana, my men would not have done these heinous crimes without reason.”

            Alana studied his face, looking for signs of deception, but he appeared sincere and quite angry of her accusations against his men. “You truly didn’t know?”

            “How could I have known?”

            “That day, at the cottage, you stopped them from harming Nettie?”

            His fingers gentled around her arms, “I had given you my oath that no harm would come to you or any of your village; if I had known than what I know now I would have personally sought to punish those responsible.”

            She peered at him doubtingly, “Why not punish those men now?”

            His hands fell away. “What good would it do to punish them now when it is done?”

            She felt her anger resurfacing. “That’s not good enough.” She hissed, “You gave me your word!”

            “Alana-“ he reached for her and she wrenched away from him. He straightened and inhaled sharply through his nose. “I cannot make amends for what has been done to you but I will see to those who have wronged you.”

            Her green eyes narrowed angrily, “That sounds to me like a promise.” She swept past him and paused by the door. “Do me a favor, Fallon-“ she wrenched the door wide and stepped aside and glared at him. “Don’t make any more promises that you don’t intend to keep.”

            As the door swung open, a shadow shifted to blend undetected in the corridor and with hooded eyes, watched as Alana swept down the hall. What was more infuriating was the man that followed, taking a moment to stare longingly at Alana’s retreating frame before heading the opposite way.