Chapter Ten: By Your Side

Lucas and Maya looked back and forth between each other. Neither knew what to say. Riley sat up and walked over to her mirror.

"Wow this looks really clean" she said.

Suddenly a flood of emotions and memories came rushing into Riley's head. Her crying, destroying her room, falling asleep. She felt lightheaded like the room was spinning. She tried to catch herself, but she started to fall. In an second Lucas jumped up and caught her before she hit the floor.

Maya yelled for Riley's parents. They decide to bring her to the hospital. Lucas never left Riley's side the entire time they were there. He sat on the foot of her hospital bed rest to jump if she needed anything.

The doctor called it a "blackout'' he said it happens when a person is overwhelmed with emotion. Normal it turns to rage or it just shuts a person down. He recommended rest and over night observation.

Lucas was the first one back at 6 in the morning.

"You don't have to be here you know." Riley said.

"Of course I do. I love the smell of hospital in the morning." He laughed. Riley smiled.

The doctor released her an hour later Lucas had to leave for school by after Riley made him go.

Maya didn't show. Her dad got a job as a electrician in their school and she didn't want to see him instead she spent the day watching movies and playing board games with Riley.

"You really like him don't you?" Maya said

" As a friend." Riley Answered "More then a friend ." she continued.