7

Brad

My mom is taking me out for my birthday dinner, and keeps insisting that we leave exactly at 6:45.

"Mom, what is the rush? I haven't seen you in a while. Can we just talk?" I ask as she hastily signs the check and collects her jacket and bag.

"We can talk later, alright. Let's just go." I don't say another word but follow her out of the restaurant. It's only a few blocks from the apartment and takes no time at all to get there. The apartment is dark when I open the door, the guys must be out. Flipping on the the light I almost have a heart attack as people pop up from behind couches and chairs yelling "surprise!"

"Oh my god. No way! Thank you guys so much this is so cool!" I find my way over to my friends and embrace them in hugs. "I can't believe you guys did this!"

"It was really all your mom and James. We just got the food and beer." Connor shrugs. I still appreciate it.

After talking to my friends for a bit I grabbed a drink and made my way through a few of my relatives that made it. I notice Ramona across the room talking to both Connor and Logan, smiling and laughing. My stomach tightens and I get a feeling in my gut. I ignore it and carry on  the conversation with my aunt and uncle.

"So are you still just a bartender?" My aunt asks pointedly.

"Yea, but I really enjoy it." Their looks of disapproval don't make me feel better. I politely excuse myself and head to the living room to speak with James.

"Hey man, having fun?" He claps me on the back.

"I guess."

"What's up?" He senses my mood.

"Nothing I just am not feeling like myself tonight. No big deal." I lie. Ramona approaches us and hands me a small package.

"Happy birthday." I take it from her hands, telling her she didn't have to get me anything, all the while feeling anxious at what it could be. Under the paper I find a vintage copy of The Great Gatsby.

"Mona, this is amazing. Where did you find this?" I gasp, turning it over in my hands, taking in tattered cover.

"A little bookshop I found a while back." She smiles brightly at me.

"I love it. Thank you." Without thinking I step forward to give her a hug, which she embraces.

"I'm glad you like it. Well Logan and I are leaving, I just wanted to give that to you before we left. I'll see you later." I watch her leave, forgetting James beside me.

"Dude, why did she get you a book?" He asks clearly confused.

"It's my favorite book."

"You read?"

"Yea. Why? is that weird?"

"No, just surprised. You sure you're ok? You seemed different with Ramona." James catches on. "Dude, you totally like her!"

"Shut up. I don't, it's nothing." I repeat, walking away.

-----------------------

I walk into the bar the next day, finding my co bartender for the night, Kevin, putting glasses away. "Hey man," I greet him.

"Hey. Did you hear Joe is moving so he's promoting someone to manager?"

"No I didn't. Who is he promoting?" I join him in putting the glasses underneath the bar, and checking the bottle of alcohol to see which we'd need more of that night.

"Whoever applies. I think you should. You've been here the longest. I know you have ideas to make this place better."

"Yea, I do. Maybe I will." The possibility of being bar manager consumes my thoughts until Ramona comes in, in hand with Logan. I try and not let my disapproval show on my face. "Hey guys." I greet them, placing napkins in front of where they sit at the bar. "Usual Ramona?" She nods and I start to make her vodka lemonade. "What would you like?" I ask Logan, being a little too polite.

"I'll just have a Bud Light. Thanks." I nod, and fill a tall glass with the worst beer ever. Saving the moment, Connor comes in and joins them at the bar. I fill another glass with Summit and slide it to him.

"Have fun at your part?" Connor asks taking a long sip of his beer.

"Yea, it was good. I was genuinely surprised." We all chat some more until new customers come in and I leave to go serve them.

"So Joe is leaving, and needs someone to replace him as manager. I think I'm going to apply." I tell Connor, Ramona and Logan once I've helped the new people.

"That's so great, Brad! I'm sure you'll get it." Her positivity and affirmation make my heart beat faster, causing me to smile.

"Thanks. I hope so." Connor gives me a funny look. "What?" I question.

"Nothing." I can tell he's lying, but I shrug it off. Ramona and Logan leave not too long after to go have dinner. "So how long have you been into Ramona?"

"What?" I scoff, trying to play it cool. When he keeps his face serious and stares me down, I cave. "Is it that obvious?"

"You were blushing when she told you you're a shoe in for the job. And you kept giving Logan weird looks."

"Well I can't do anything about it so it's not a big deal. Please don't say anything." I meant to Ramona, but also to the other guys.

"You better not, she's actually really happy for once."

"I know, that's the hardest part." I sigh and refill Connor's glass.