Shipped off

Indigo

The thundering continues and looking at Phoenix I say "You don't have anything to do with this?"

Phoenix spreads his arms out "Yeah, because sitting in this cell means I suddenly have the power to make earthquakes."

I'm too worried about the shuddering walls to pull up his sarcasm "Fine, wait here I'm going to go and see what's happening."

Phoenix leans on the cell bars faking a cocky attitude "Yeah it's not like I can go far."

Jogging back up the tunnel I let my night vision direct me through the dark tunnel. Further up I can hear shouts, which does nothing to quell the uneasy feeling that coils in my stomach.

Grabbing hold of someone running by I ask, "What's happening?"

The man looks at me with fear on his face "Something's attacking us."

He keeps moving obviously running an errand for someone, which is evident by the piece of paper he has between his fingers.

Moving further along the cave I run into one of the main caves where people are pouring out. I watch as men and women run by each carrying weapons as others dash by with supplies. Running through the tunnel I use my sharpened reflexes to doge people,running at a speed that is inhuman.

Reaching my Uncle's office door that is set in against the rock wall of the cave I don't bother to knock. Now isn't really a time for formalities and shoving the door open I step in scanning around for the familiar sight of my uncle.

The place is empty and turning around I race out looking for anyone who might actually know what's happening. The constant booming is starting to give me a headache as my sensitive ears begin to ache from the constant rhythm of the vibration.

Through the crowd I hear a voice "Indigo! Hey Indigo!"

Spinning I spot Demon and run to meet him. I'm breathless, not from the running but from fear as around us a cracking sounds out "What is going on?"

Grabbing my arm we move to the side of the tunnel letting people run past us. Demon's grip tightens "they've found us, they're drilling down right now."

His words don't make sense "What! How?"

Demon shakes his head "I don't know, they gave us no warning of their approach though, their ships were cloaked or something and none of our sentinels spotted them."

Cold ice slides down my back and I can feel it sinking into my bones "you mean they can make themselves invisible?"

Demon just nods and is about to say something else when a crack about a hundred meters away sounds out followed by screams that are full of terror.

Demon pales "They've broke into one of the caves."

Marked people in black armour appear in the tunnel, their armour gleaming under the white lights that hang from the tunnel's roof. 

Turning on our heels we begin to run. My muscles ache to go faster to leave the attackers far behind. The armour covers most of them except for the backs of their hands, which are dark with black swirls showing their excitement at the idea of a hunt. And we're the rabbits caught in our own burrow.

Ever since I was young we were always taught to fear when the markings turned black, it meant they were in predator mode and I have to force myself to run at a pace Demon can keep up with.

We catch up to the flood of people and while they're running it doesn't seem like they've realised that the attackers are literally two hundred meters down the tunnel.