(8) Don't give me a lecture

Phoenix   

As I search for new clothes, I try to calm myself down. Every time I see her I want to touch her, be near her. All in all, I think it went well.  I didn't get her name though. And I was really hoping to. But we met and neither of us killed the other. I decide to focus on the small victory.

 The reason she'd got my attention was that she showed some spark. I knew humans had it but I'd actually never seen one fight back. They said they'd needed a human with a strong will to survive their experiments. I'd chosen well with her. The only problem is the very same spark that let her survive the experiments is now a slight problem. I can't seem to talk to her without becoming slightly infuriated, that or my mind has trouble staying on track, especially when her eyes light up. I take a breath, I can do this.

Indigo

I'm trying to break the shower glass -surprise surprise it's also unbreakable- when he walks back in.  I'd used his suggestion of showering as an excuse to check the security in the bathroom. After showering quickly I'd gotten changed into my old clothes again and combed every inch of the place. No luck.

He lays some clothes on a chair and turning to give me privacy says "Right get dressed and then we'll talk." I frown at the choice of clothing and pull on the new underwear. I seriously hope he didn't pick the underwear. 

Quickly I grab the dress he set out. I frown again. Dresses are impractical and annoying. It's black, skintight, and looks like it's made of a thousand scales sewn together, reflecting the light and making the dress shimmer. It looks like something I've seen the wealthier Marked People wear when we scout in the city. 

A quick glance in the mirror shows a long-legged person who could probably do with a bit more feeding.  Phoenix turns around and gives a low whistle "You clean up nice. That particular style is all the rage at the moment."

He holds out a hand for me to take. The pendant gleams on his neck. I'm not fussed on the electric shock it can give so with a glare, I take his hand. He leads me through to the main room and motions for me to sit down. I sit down on the couch annoyed about the dress and the fact that I can't sit cross-legged like I usually do. 

Phoenix sits in a chair facing me,  the pendant mocking me as it sits against his chest. Phoenix clasps his hands "Now you probably have questions though I'm sure some answers are obvious.  So ask away, I've got all day. Though I would like to know your name in return."

" You don't need to know it." 

With a growl, he says, " So you won't tell me your name yet I doubt a name I pick out will do either." He leans in closer to me and says in a low voice "You're not being very helpful." 

I stiffen at his tone but manage to make a snarky reply "When was being nice to my guard ever something I agreed to?" 

Phoenix looks at me before laughing, " You think I'm your guard? No, I'm more than that, I'm your owner."

I can feel the anger inside of me blaze up and I snap "Please tell me that wasn't your plan on making me like you more?" My voice is quiet, the sort of quiet just before I lash out.

Phoenix shrugs "It won't matter, I'm sure that after a few weeks of seeing no one but me you'll feel differently." 

I choke "what?" 

Phoenix answers "I want to know what the experiments have done to you. Hopefully, there are no long term side effects. But as you can probably guess, the experiment to make you what you are is confidential. I'll be the only one monitoring you. I'd like for this to go smoothly for both us. Being friends will help."