hunting with my brother

Phoenix 

She was in pain and hurting.

All I wanted to do though was grab and kiss her. Yeah right. If I tried that she'd gouge my eyes out, and I can't blame her for that. Once I got over my impulse I found myself wanting to comfort her but considering I was the reason she was hurting I didn't think that would be such a good idea. I'm hoping that if I let her calm down we can try talking again without either of us yelling at the other. I think my optimism is a little overstretched on this one.

I'd made sure to wear clothes that would hide my markings from her. I didn't want her realizing that while I might be the one with the pendant and a key, I'm still nervous around her. That collar keeps her relatively safe, but I'd be an idiot if I thought it made her completely harmless.  I glance down at the dark blue jeans that cost roughly two hundred a pair and a simple tight black shirt. While the design of the shirt is simple, the fabric it's made out if is another story. It's waterproof, stain proof and fire retardant. I didn't pick it for those reasons though. I pick my clothes because I am one of these people who looks good in dark clothes. The t-shirt shows off my muscles that run beneath it and I know from good authority that my butt looks amazing in these jeans. I'm not sure why, but I wanted to impress her. Even thinking it leaves me flushing in embarrassment.  She's a human, an experiment that escaped. I'd wanted her back because of the money and investment that had been put into making her what she is. And yet I can't get the thought of what it would be like to kiss her. 

I twirl the pendant, which is connected to her collar. It is a simple silver rectangle, not very appealing but it does the job. If I flick open the top there is a small button, which activates the stun. It pains me to think I'd have to use it but I already know she'd kill me the first chance she gets. I'm optimistic, not stupid.

Dropping the pendant I look at myself again in the mirror, checking my markings are finally going back to their neutral blue colour.  I'm tall with defined muscles that aren't overly bulky, and my markings are quite exotic, spinning together like swirls and vines that wrap my arms and drop down the front and back of my chest. 

They trail down my shoulders at the back and then slowly draw together as a V that trails down my spine to my tail. They continue down my tail until the end, where my feathers are. The markings at the front of my chest inch down until they hang just above my hips. They gradually thin out like some kind of vine that hasn't quite reached its destination. My dark brown hair just a shade lighter than black is cut short to show off my markings that curl around my neck. Our markings are our heritage and bloodlines all wrapped into one. To let something like hair hide any part of them is unheard of.

I flick my tail around to the front and brush out the giant feathers at the end. Like my eyes, they are shades of deep and electrifying blue. I've never had trouble drawing the eyes of those around me. 

Now I wondered if my looks could impress her. Everyone I've been in a relationship or fling with has always been drawn to me because of two things, looks and power. But she doesn't care about any of that, she doesn't come from our world.

This human had spat at me. No one's ever spoken to me like she had. My family is too important for anyone to dare. Maybe I'm insane but seeing her ignore my looks and power is refreshing.

I look over to the frosted glass box but keeping to my promise I turn away not wanting to barge in on her, yet. Instead, I walk downstairs to where my father's, and now my own, office is. I rifle through some papers that are summaries of the annual expenditures of the farms with notes on how to decrease cost and increases profit. I should be working but knowing she's up there isn't helping.