(5) Ambush

Phoenix

After watching the girl drive away in my own car I demand she be brought back alive. Guards swarm to do my bidding and I silently thank the fact that it is my father who is in control of the working camps. Patrick quirks an eyebrow in a silent is she the one? And I nod. Patrick says no more and goes to get a company air ship for me to go home on.

When I get home I ask to be left alone and head for my indoor gym. For the next hour I take out my frustration on the punching bag. I can completely understand that the girl wanted to escape but the guards should have been watching her. They should have been told the range of her capabilities. Had they known that she could jump the fence they would of moved her to somewhere more secure to work. I punch the bag again. I should of Told Patrick to take the keys out but I foolishly thought that the car would be safe. And now thanks to a lot of little mistakes and a whole lot of experimenting she was gone.

They would send out search parties for her but after hearing what she had done to twenty police officers with only two still alive I wasn't hopeful that thy would be able to capture her. Quickly I make a phone call "Arnold I want that enclosure to be built by next Thursday, I don't care how much it costs or how many men you need just get it done."

The man on the other end quickly gives me a quote to which I say "I said money wasn't a worry, I expect the men here tomorrow to begin work." Arnold says goodbye and I hang up.

Most people thought that I just used my father's money but the fact was that father had declared that once I turned eighteen he would be retiring leaving me in charge of the family business. A business which was based solely around human labour. My fathers business and soon to be mine consisted of every single camp of humans. We ran the camps and we ran the farms. Being the wealthiest family in the world was easy with our business being so heavily relied upon by so many people. Of course the government took about five percent of our profits which gave them about a billion dollars to spend. I smile as I begin to punch the bag again. She might be gone but I have every resource at my fingertips to get her back again.

I make another call. This time to the scientists who were in charge of the experiments done on her. "Cecil it's me Phoenix, tell me everything you can on what the experiments did to the female who escaped. I need to know what can be used to capture her without killing her and I need to know what material can hold her without her breaking it."

I listen carefully writing everything down in a quick scribble. I ask for the documents to be sent over and thank him before calling back Arnold. " Arnold it's Phoenix again. A change of plan for what the enclosure is to be built of. Instead of bulletproof glass I want you to contact Cecil. He's expecting your call, he will provide the materials needed please do not delay." I hang up and go to look out the window. Somewhere out there is my prize but soon she'll be back where she's meant to be.

Eight months later...

Indigo

I still wake up screaming from my nightmares of my time in the camp. Sometimes I scream because the pain of my parent's death seems raw and sometimes it is because of the look of fear on the marked people's faces as I killed them when we escaped.

Demon wraps an arm around me and starts to make soothing noises. We never sleep with the others. I'm always too loud for them, so we sleep a bit away so as not to wake up the whole camp.

When Demon and I had returned to our wild band we were welcomed with back with suspicion. Of course they were wary of me, especially when I told them of the experiments that I was forced through. I can still remember the faces of them as I showed them how fast I could run or that I could pull a tree out of the ground. They were a bit annoyed when I explained that my extra abilities meant I needed twice the about of food but once I caught a deer by my own hands with no help they were more than happy to give me as much food as I needed.