Power Struggle

Indigo

The lights are harsh when I first open my eyes and groaning I'm quick to shut them again. To my left something rustles, someone moving as a voice says, "Indigo? We had a close call but you should be fine now. Indigo?"

I carefully blink, eyes quickly getting use to the daylight before I turn my head to see Spring, a look of concern plastered across his face. "What happened," my words are nothing more than a mumble.

My stomach aches and I shy away from the memories of pain even as my head pounds and my limbs refuse to move.

Spring hesitates now, as if trying to form the right words when Winter steps into view, "You were poisoned," He's blunt and Spring gapes at him as if about to scold him for it.

 Relief seeps into my veins, "Poison, huh thank the skies above for that."

Spring's concern deepens, "Being poisoned isn't a good thing," he says as if I can't work that out for myself.

"Your body was quick to counter the poison but.. it didn't look good at the beginning. We've had you on fluids and have been monitoring your vitals for the past day now," Spring says.

I try to smile but my face feels stiff and instead I  say, "I was worried for a moment it was the serum to cure me, I thought my body was rejecting it."

"Oh no," Spring is quick to reply, "Someone swapped out the cure with the poison. We're already investigating who is behind it, but for now get some rest and when we find something you'll be the first to know."

He leans forward half hesitantly and pats my arm as if hoping that will be enough comfort, "I am so sorry. I said we wouldn't hurt you, and now that promise is broken."

Spring, while a little naive isn't a bad person and I manage a smile this time, "It's alright."

I hide the aching inside my body, no need to let him see. Besides, Winter is still here and the thought of appearing weak in front of that sever face is enough to have me saying, "Any idea why someone would do this though?"

Spring shakes his head mournfully, "No, my only guess if that we have enemies within New Horizons, perhaps a spy or someone working to undermine us."

He moves to check my blood pressure and temperature again seeming satisfied says, "I want you to rest for at least another day. Anyone without your healing capabilities would probably be dead by now. You got lucky."

I got lucky, more like my potential killer underestimated me. I doubt they'll do it again though. Spring motions to Winter to leave me alone to rest while saying, "Winter has put some security around your door, just as a precaution."

Winter nods, "They're humans, hopefully that will make you feel safer."

At this point I'm having a hard time trusting anyone in New Horizons, human or Marked person but I just nod, "Thank you."

Winter lingers while saying, "Go ahead Spring, I just want to fill Indigo in on a few other security details for her wellbeing."

Spring sends me a glance, a silent question if I'm alright with this but I wave him off. Even in my weakened state I'm sure I could take Winter. He might be experienced, but he's only human, no match for my increased strength.

As soon as we're alone my voice drops, ice creeping in, "What do you want?"

Winter has been standoffish at best and I doubt he wants to brief me on my improved security. He grins, catching my tone, "I thought you might be interested in the identity of your would-be assassin."