Factions

Indigo

When Demon finally arrives, the first thing he does is rush over to hug me, "I'm sorry for what I said earlier, I've been going mad these few days, I wanted to apologise sooner."

His words spark anger but I let him hug me before gently pushing him back. He's grinning now and hands me some clothes, "Here, thought you'd rather not stay in the hospital gown."

"Thanks," I say and wait for him to turn around before I get dressed. The clothes remind me of my old life. Clothing made for a life outside, clothing made to take beatings and bruises. Except for the hole cut in the jeans for my tail, I feel almost human again.

Demon turns around, eyes lighting up in approval, "So how weak are you after lying in a bed for a few days?"

I snort, "Even without the experiments I could beat you, don't push your luck."

His smile drops now as he says, "I'm glad you're back on our side. I admit when I first saw your markings i thought maybe you'd turned your back on us." On me, are the silent words.

I rest a hand on his shoulder squeezing briefly, "I want to find a solution for everyone."

But New Horizons doesn't want to do that. If they did, they wouldn't have tried to kill me. I don't like Winter, but unfortunately for me, he's the best ally I've got at the moment.

"I need to get into contact with Phoenix though," I say, ignoring the frown that appears on Demon's face, "I need to warn him that New Horizons isn't exactly as nice as we first thought."

Though the fact they practically forced me to come with them shouldn't make the attempt on my life a surprise. Demon nods, "Are you sure?"

I almost snap at him, at the doubt in his voice but manage to keep calm as I say, "Phoenix has been working with me to free humans."

Demon holds up his hands, "The last thing I want to do it get into a fight with you, but just hear me out. Phoenix is a major shareholder to one of the largest companies that deals with humans. Out of anyone he benefits most from having human slaves. He kept you in a glass box, he put you through all those experiments," Demons' voice cracks for a moment, "He's hurt you more than anyone else, what makes you think he's on our side now?"

Because he met me, because together we realised that being human or Marked person doesn't make a difference. We're all the same and when Aradonious had held us captive, it became clear to us. Marked person or Human, no one deserves to be prisoner, no one deserves the pain of having someone else control their lives. In those days we'd gained strength from each other. Maybe we're both a little broken, a little frayed at the edges but we'd pulled through because we'd understood that alone we wouldn't survive.

"But he doesn't want it to be like that," I ground out, "Phoenix wants to take down his brother, to stop this from happening."

"But why would he care? All this will do is make him weaker, probably even put his company out of business. Why would he want to free us?"

"He won't betray us," I insist, because how do I explain to Demon why Phoenix has changed.

Demon just gives me a wary look, "I hope you're right."

I don't say anything as Demon leads me out of my room. I barely know the inside of this building but Demon manages to keep us away from the populated area, three other humans escorting us. Spring will be confused when he returns to find my bed empty and Summer will probably sweat once she releases she can't kill me anymore.

As we walk out to the cars that are waiting I slide Demon a smirk, "So does this little branch of New Horizons have a name? I know Broken Star is taken but surely you've come up with something else."

Demon reaches into the seat pulling out a bag, he throws it to me and looking inside I pull out an object.

I arch an eyebrow, "Please tell me you don't expect me to wear this."

Demon just laughs and pulls one out for himself, "We don't have a name, because we're still part of New Horizons, we're just going to make sure they remember the humans they've promised to help."

I look down at the object Demon's given me. A shiny red mask stares back up and sighing I slip it onto place. I've already had markings threaded into my skin, wearing a mask shouldn't be too different.

Hey everyone, here is another chapter. Yeah sorry it's a bit shorter than most.

Hope you're all having a lovely day and please comment, I'd love to hear what you all think, or just any random thoughts you have on the story in general.