Tracker

Phoenix

I'm dozing when a light breeze stirs me. I frown, I don't remember opening the window and Patrick wouldn't. Too tired to get up and shut it I move closer to the warmth on my back. I give a sigh I don't remember my bed being this warm.

With a jerk I sit up, everything from the previous days hits me and I look around desperate for it all to be a dream. Indigo's eyes meet mine and I feel the desperation crash into my like a wave about to tip a boat over. I glance down at the handcuff on my wrist. Indigo is bright eyed and gives a grin "Sorry but the night didn't make the handcuff disappear."

I try to ignore her remark. I look around, the forest surrounds us and I can't hear anything except the rustling of unseen animals and birds that watch us from hidden branches high in the trees. I glance back at Indigo and realise that the warmth was coming from her.  It's funny how even when she's holding me prisoner I still can't help but want to kiss her.

Indigo glances at my markings on my neck and I realise that tints of red colour their normal blue hue. I've always liked my markings but at the moment I wish I could hide my emotions like Demon and Indigo. Maybe there are advantages to humans after all.

I glance over to Demon who is stretching after a night of sleeping on the ground. Indigo gets up and drags me with her. She stretches out her hand that is handcuffed to mine. I feel my arm get half ripped out of its socket at the sudden movement. Demon looks over to Indigo "Do you want to go hunting or should we get moving?"

The emptiness that lives inside my stomach is hoping that Indigo will want to get some food but I'm not surprised when she shakes her head "Those helicopters will be searching all around here. We need to put more ground behind us before we think of food."

Demon nods and there is no more discussion. Soon we're slipping between trees as we move through the forest. I watch in amazement as Indigo never misses a beat, brushing aside anything in her way and weaving around trees as if she's been doing this dance her entire life. Demon seems to also be at ease in the forest but any admiration I have for Indigo is only loathing for Demon.

I give a hiss as my tail somehow gets caught in a tree. I look behind and see the leaves of the tree are sharp needles. Indigo sighs as if I've demanded that she carry me. She gives my arm a sharp pull and I yell as the needle-like leaves of the tree cut my tail feathers. Demon gives a short laugh and my markings flare yellow as the sudden urge to punch him fills me.

 Indigo seems to be hiding a smile as she says "Come on, we've got to keep moving." She gives my arm a little tug and I keep walking. I try to mimic Demon and Indigo as they weave through the undergrowth but they've spent a lifetime doing this and I've only ever snuck through a forest when I'm out hunting. I trip over again and Indigo pulls me up my shoulder. The forest is silent around us and I hold in a sigh. This is going to be a long walk.

Indigo

We're still walking by midday. By now I know that everyone is ravenous, I can hear all three of our stomachs growling in protest. Picking up a stone I run my fingers over it waiting for the perfect opportunity. I spot my target; high in the trees sits a bird watching us as we walk by.

I eye it and before Demon or Phoenix realise what I'm doing I throw the stone up into the canopy above us. The bird doesn't even make a sound as the stone hits it. Both and Demon and Phoenix look at me curiously, neither of them having spotted the bird.

I don't bother answering them as a bird thumps onto the ground a few feet in front of us. They both look around as if expecting it to begin raining dead birds. I give a laugh "Don't worry we're not getting attacked. I killed it."