Masks of Monsters

Indigo

"Are you sure this is the right place? If you're wrong and some random Marked person answers then we're in trouble." I say while surveying the building across the street.

"This is it," Phoenix half laughs "Patrick became a millionaire and yet he still decides to live in this house."

So far we've been sitting here for an hour, watching the Marked people walk past as they go about their average morning. I'd been wary to find Patrick. Aradonious most likely has people watching him and Phoenix is still healing. Any confrontations now will have us at a serious disadvantage. And yet here we are sitting in some quiet neighbourhood. The peace is making my skin crawl.

"What's wrong with it?" I ask while looking at the sturdy looking brick house that has cheery little red flowers in the window boxes "It looks comfy." Comfy, a word I don't think I've ever used to described my own living spaces.

"Exactly, it's normal. He now has more wealth than he's ever had and yet he's decided to stay in this house." Phoenix can't help but smile "If it was anyone else I'd say they were mad but that's just Patrick for you."

He takes a breath. "Right, wish me luck."

Before I can say anything he opens the door to the small battered car I'd managed to steal. With the amount of dints in this car I didn't think its owners would care very much.

I watch from the car as Phoenix ducks across the road and knocks on the door. After a moment it opens and I recognise the tall Marked person as Patrick. I don't relax though as Patrick just stares at Phoenix. It's not until I see Patrick suddenly grab Phoenix and pull him in for a hug that I know we're safe from being sold out.

They talk for a moment before Phoenix motions to where I am. Immediately Patrick straightens and his marks flare yellow. I don't blame him for carrying anger towards me. After all I did kidnap Phoenix and after witnessing their reunion I have a feeling Patrick sees him as more than just a boss.

Finally Patrick gives a single sharp nod and before Phoenix can wave for me to come over I slip out of the car. We'd found a picnic rug in the back of the car and making sure I'm mostly covered, I race across the road and up the stairs of the house. I don't stop until I'm inside and away from the street and any eyes that might be watching.

Patrick closes the door and turns to me "Hello Indigo, nice picnic rug." His tone is dry and his markings, while not completely yellow are still spiked with yellow steaks, letting me know that I'm not quite in the clear.

"Thank you for helping us," I say in reply while folding up the rug.

"Yes well, luckily for you Phoenix has convinced me that apparently you're alright." Patrick moves through the hallway and into the kitchen beyond with the two of us following behind.

His words are polite but I hear the underlying message, if I do anything to make Patrick think I'm working against them then I'm out. I'm pretty sure Patrick sees me as some extra luggage that comes along with Phoenix.

Making friends isn't high on my priorities list and long as we can work together I don't care what Patrick thinks of me.

He might not like me but Patrick is the sort of person who values manners and so seating us both down he proceeds to offer Phoenix and I an array of biscuits and cakes while serving us hot tea. We've both been running low on food lately and after seeing us both inhale his food Patrick stand ups without a word and begins slicing up vegetables. "May I ask when you last had a proper meal?"

Phoenix laughs. "Not since I was kidnapped, no one can cook like you can Patrick."

"We haven't eaten properly since we escaped from Aradonious." I say before giving Phoenix a glare. He just flashes me a smile in return. As usual he's such an exaggerator.