(4) Escape

Indigo

After another week of solitary confinement I'm finally let out of the room. They lead me to a room where I'm fitted with new clothes. My old clothes are too small for me because I grew about six inches because of the tests. My old clothes were plain grey clothes that were baggy and easily ripped. My new clothes consisted of dark blue jeans made of light yet very strong denim. My shirt was the same grey shirt but instead of a grey hoodie I am made to wear a bright red jacket. In pretty sure the whole idea is so that way I'll be easy to see when they want to watch their test subject. Even though the jacket marks me as something different to the rest of my people I have to admit it is nicer than my previous clothes.

After my new clothes are assigned to me I'm led to the meal/sleeping dormitory that I had stayed in before the tests. As soon as I'm pushed into the room the quiet murmur of voices cease as all eyes turn to me. Everyone must have assumed I was killed or taken to the breeding camps. The surprise on their faces is clear and I even spot a few that seem to be happy that I'm not dead. Someone gets up from he tables and rushes towards me. Before I can even think who it is my miNd screams its an attacker. I quickly grab their outstretched arm and wrap it around behind their back leaving them pinned.

"Indigo! it's me, Demon!" My eyes take in his features and I quickly drop his arm and hug him. He steps back from me and I can see shadows that were there seconds ago are now gone. My heart cries for him as I realize he thought I was dead. He smiles " wow you grew."

I want to tell him about the experiments and what it could mean for our escape but now is not the time to do it. I give him a look that says we'll talk when there are less ears and he nods in understanding. There are too many guards around and people are looking at us curiously.

A guard pushes us into seats. Demon resumes eating his food and I wait as they bring me mine. They set the food down and I'm surprised to see that it is actual food like Demons, not the sludge I was eating before all the experiments. The stares of curiosity turn to glares of envy and suspicion. I don't take any notice of them as after all I've always seen these stares directed at Demon before. I feel a twinge of guilt as I eat the normal food but try to ignore it as I do the stares.

After breakfast we are split into the work groups for the day and I'm relieved to see that I'm on picking fruit again and that Demon is as well. We are loaded into the hover cage and soon arrive at the orchard. We each get a backpack and start to collect the apples that hang on the trees. Demon stays close to me often touching me like he's assuring himself that I'm still here. As I work I find that the energy required to do it is so little that at lunch while everyone else is wiping sweaty brows I feel fine.

Usually I climb from branch to branch in a fluid sort if way but now I'm flinging myself from each tree picking apples at three times the rate anyone else is. Demon watches me, amazed and I can see the questions on his face. We both know though that the questions will have to wait until tonight when we can talk privately.

I plan on telling him everything tonight so we can try and work out a plan when I suddenly see something. The thing I see is something I've seen now for quite a while. The fence. The fence is roughly about five and a half meters high. It was Impossible to jump and climbing is too slow to get over it. I bend my legs a little. I have a feeling that even carrying a load I'd be able to clear it, just. I have half the plan organized but the part of getting away from the guards is still a problem.

A solution quickly comes in the answer of the thing that has just pulled up on the other side of the fence. A sleek black sports car has stopped. The driver gets out and my eyes pick out that he has left the key in the ignition.

The man looks like a butler. He's a marked person which means that whoever he works for must be extremely rich to have a marked person instead of a human being their servant. He goes around to the back to open the door for the other person. They must have something to do with this farm, maybe they're the owner or another high-ranking person who controls the camps, either way they are quite happy to use slave labour. I haven't seen this person but I already hate him or her. The opportunity is here. Before cars and trucks had pulled up but without a way to get to them I had never thought of them as a way to escape. Now it's clear how we can escape.