Two sides of the same coin

Indigo

"Aradonious is ready to see you now." The Assistant looks up at me, a quick glance before he turns back to her computer. He's busy, way too busy to make idle chatter with me and instead just flicks a finger towards the door that leads to the office. I smile tightly and curse silently as my markings become tinged with green, letting everyone see my unease.

The Assistant notices and smiles softly "Don't worry, just be polite and you'll make a good first impression." So he's mistaking my worry for nerves, hopefully Aradonious will do the same. I just nod and swallow while walking to the door, pushing it open. My  hand is white from clutching the door handle. Sure I'm nervous to meet him, but not because he's meant to be my boss, not because Lexi Emerson wants to make a good impression. No, I"m worried he'll see through it all, see me as Indigo. Here, in this building completely controlled by him I'll have nowhere to run, I've walked into the den of the beast.

I'd found it strange the Assistant had called him Aradonious, and not his last name or even 'sir' but perhaps they get along well? I take in the office in one sweeping glance, making sure to note the furniture, what I can use as a weapon and where the windows are, though even my body would probably be seriously injured from a fall at this height. The office looks more like an apartment with sections to it. The first section contains a lounge area complete with coffee table that even has a vase of flowers on it. Obviously this area is for more relaxed meetings while at the back a large oak desk with Aradonious sitting behind it. He's been working on something but now those eyes focus on me. They don't look cold, in fact their is an open warmth that spreads across his face. He's good at hiding his true nature. I'm holding my breath as he watches me, eyes assessing me in my simple black pencil skirt and white shirt with black blazer. I wear flats, not heels. Phoenix said everyone wears heels but I'd argued that should anything go wrong, there was no way I was fighting with stupid stilettos on. My balance might be good but there's no need to push my luck.

"Would you like to come in? Or are you happy at the door?" His voice is smooth, smooth like the times he use to speak to me as I was strapped down in the lab. But it's not cold or arrogant, apparently he saves that tone for human experiments. It still has the air of confidence about it, something I'm sure is as natural to him as breathing, or signing off on hundreds of humans to be slaves. He thinks I'm nervous as well. If it keeps him from guessing the true source of my worry I'll play along. He doesn't know I linger at the door because I'm preparing to escape should he see past my markings and tail that flicks in agitation though I try to force it to be still.

I walk in, making sure to keep my arms by my sides. I'd wanted to bring in some knives but Phoenix has said they'd never get past the metal detectors down in the main foyer. Now I feel bare. Sure I'm stronger than Aradonious who smiles at me in a friendly way. I could throw him out a window but even if I did, there would be another just like him to take his place. Getting rid of one cold blooded Marked Person wouldn't make the problem go away. Though seeing him smile, I'm half tempted to try it anyway.

"Sorry, Sir. Your assistant said it was one for me to come in but you looked like you were working on something important." I make sure to keep my voice smooth, when everything inside me wants to leap across the desk and smash his head into it. I bite down on my anger, noticing a dusting of yellow tonging my green. If Aradonious picks up on it I'm going to have a few questions come my way that I can't answer. I've always been good at hiding my feelings before but now I have to trick myself as well. I bring my mind back to the present, to Aradonious and my goal. Get intel and build some sort of trust between us. My anger fades, mainly because I'm too focussed on the job hand.

Aradonious smiles, a pull of his upper lip. To most people it's probably meant to be charming and smooth, like he's in perfect control. To me it's calculated and cruel. Yellow threatens to highlight my markings again and I clamp down on my anger once more while he says "Sir? You are old fashioned aren't you? Aradonious will do fine thank you. I like to thing that anyone I employ feels comfortable enough to call my by my first name."