Chapter Twenty-Five

You'll be hearing from me. Adam's deep, husky promise kept Abby awake tossing and turning on the futon. Along with the memories of his kisses. Clinching her teeth, she rolled over on her back, confusing feelings fought with each other in her mind. Sighing, she stared up at the ceiling and brought a trembling hand up to touch her lips which still burned from his possession. Time ticked by slowly as she thought about what had transpired in the kitchen only a few hours ago.

The reasonable side of her conscious was telling her to run as far away from him as possible. Reminding her of every reason why she shouldn't be contemplating possibilities, but there was the other side of the coin. The part deep inside her that craved the sound of his voice. The feel of his touch. The chance to feel so much more...she wanted it so badly her heart hurt, causing a tightening in her chest so intense, it was hard to breathe.

The fact she almost gave into that desire tonight, scared her to death. If Vivian hadn't went all Dirty Harry on them, there was no telling how far she would have allowed him to take her. And allowed it without one ounce of thought for the ramifications of her actions. The pull and attraction she obviously felt for this man was stronger than she had first believed.

The glaring evidence was how quickly she succumbed to his kisses. For someone who adamantly refused to date or have a relationship, she sure as hell had done a fine job of throwing herself at him. But, then again, never had a man made her want so badly.

Abby rolled over and folded her body into a tight ball. Her mind raced to get a grip on reality while her body throbbed from the physical imprint Adam had left behind. His cologne wafted around her from her camisole in a delicious fog, wrapping her in an embrace she would gladly get lost in forever given the chance. A chance she knew couldn't happen. The loneliness which was her life, crashed around her and she felt her throat ache and her eyes burn with unshed tears. She refused to let them fall and she swallowed them back. She breathed hard and deep, struggling to get herself under control.

Crying did no good. It never did. It wouldn't solve her problems or make them go away. Life was brutally unfair, period. No amount of sobbing would change that. Abby had been a fool tonight to drop her guard. The pain she felt was a justified punishment for forgetting who she was and what was at stake if she let Adam Steele any further under her skin.

Besides, Abby snorted, someone like her had no business messing with a man who could eat her alive and spit her out. It wasn't like she was anywhere near the blatant ability the man possessed in this little pinky when it came to sexual prowess. Her skill still needed training wheels while his blew past her in an Aston Martin.

Abby's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the door being unlocked. Reaching over, she flicked on the table lamp and sat up, tucking the blankets around herself. She watched as Jo Jo, still wearing the ridiculous headdress, entered carrying his gym bag and a box.

"I would like a word with you," Abby snipped, crossing her arms over her chest. If it wasn't for Pocahontas, she wouldn't be suffering a sleepless night and being haunted by "what ifs".

His shoulders slumped at the tone of her voice. "Now, baby doll..."

"Don't you dare, baby doll, me." Abby stiffly shook her head. "Do you have any idea how mad I am at you?"

Jo Jo sighed, setting his bag by the door. Pulling off the head piece, he laid it on the kitchen table next to the mysterious box before sauntering into the kitchen. "I'm going to make some tea. Do you want some?"

Cringing at the thought of tea, Abby refused. "I may never drink tea again," she mumbled under her breath.

"What was that?" Jo Jo asked, setting the kettle on the stove.