Chapter Thirty-Nine

Abby shifted in an uncomfortable chair in ICU 5 as worry and fear gnawed at her relentlessly. She hated hospitals. Everything about them. The sterile environment, the smell of antiseptic, the despair that leeched from the gray walls...all of it.

Her eyes bounced from one piece of equipment to the next, but it was beyond her. She had no idea what all the numbers, lights and beeping meant, except for one. The heart monitor which had a tiny flashing image of a heart, showed a slow steady rhythm and gave her a little comfort knowing Vivian was at least still alive.

Moving her eyes away from the monotonous beep, beep, beep of the screen, they landed on Vivian. A small sob escaped her throat at the sight of the once vibrant woman lying there. Her skin was an unearthly pale, her face sunken and her mouth distorted from the tube taped to the side of her mouth which was doing the breathing for her. Abby reached out her hand to grasp hers, but there were so many wires and tubes...she was afraid to touch it in fear she would disturb something vital.

"Go ahead, you can touch her. Just be careful of the O2 monitor." A sweet looking younger nurse said encouragingly. "Let her know you are here."

Slipping her fingers under Vivian's, Abby carefully clasped her hand, surprised at the soft, warm feeling of it. "Can she hear us?"

"I like to think she can," the nurse said, finishing up hanging a bag of clear liquid. "Her vitals are stable which is a good sign." Walking over to where Abby sat, she put her hand on her shoulder and gave it a little squeeze. "If you need anything, just press the call button."

After the nurse left, Abby leaned closer to Vivian. "I am so, so very sorry. It's all my fault. Please, Viv...don't die. Stay with us," she whispered urgently in her ear.

"She's tougher than you think," Jo Jo said quietly.

Abby turned her head to see him lingering in the door way. The glimmering gown a stark contrast to the drabness of the room.

"I hope so," she said, giving him a half-hearted smile.

Walking in, he handed her the picture she had saved from the fire. "You forgot this out in the waiting room. Adam asked me to bring it in." He looked down at Vivian's prone figure. "Even with all that stuff attached to her, she looks peaceful...don't you think?" Sitting down on the arm of the chair she was sitting in, he delicately crossed his long legs.

Abby couldn't help but smile. No matter what the situation, Jo Jo was always a lady. Shaking her head, she carefully put the photo on the little side rolling table facing Vivian. So if she woke up...no...when she woke up, she would see it first thing and have Joan Crawford cheering her on.

Turning back to Viv, she slid her hand back into hers. She had to disagree with Jo Jo. Though her eyes were closed, she looked far from peaceful with everything connected to her but the kitchen sink. She looked like she'd been assimilated by the Borg, Abby thought with a grimace.

"She's really going to love it that you managed to save that photo."

Jo Jo ran his nails through her hair, separating some of the tangles. Closing her eyes, she leaned into the comforting touch. It was the same gesture her mother use to do when she was upset, minus the Lee Press-on nails.

"Since I am the one that put her hear...it's the least I could do," she mumbled.

A sharp smack to the back of her head had her jerking her eyes open in shock.

"Stop that right this minute." He crossed his arms over his chest and gave her scowl. "How many times do I have to tell you? This is not your fault," he said, nodding towards Vivian.