Chapter Forty

Adam woke up incredibly uncomfortable. The tingling sensation in his arm exploding out of each digit on his left hand drug him out of his slumber. Blurrily opening his eyes, he turned his head only to end up tickling his nose into Abigail's hair.

Breathing deeply of the scent that was hers alone, he smiled. She was lying on her side snuggled up tight against him, her head cradled into the crook of his arm, her long tresses splayed out over his skin and their limbs entwined. All things considered, it wasn't necessarily a bad way to wake up.

She looked so sweet, innocent and untroubled. Which, lately, seemed to be an eccentricity she rarely possessed. Brushing a light kiss on the crown of her head, he closed his eyes and tried to relax himself enough to go back to sleep, but it was impossible.

His mind was too full of thoughts of Abigail. From her soft, snuffling snore to the memory of her whispering pleads last night in the shower. He had not intended for things to get so out of hand, but...he sighed...when it came to her, he was powerless to say no. Visions of her lithe body wrapped around him as he guided himself into her, of her crying out his name as she dug her nails into his back and the look of unbridled passion as she had met him thrust for thrust had his body stirring to life.

Throwing his free hand over his head, Adam groaned and tried to wipe the images out of his mind. If he was averse to wake her by moving his now numb arm, he sure as hell didn't want to wake her up with what was growing thick and ready between his legs. To be honest, he had no idea what the typical protocol was upon waking with a woman.

Sleeping with her had been a completely new experience for him. One, he found, he liked...a great deal...and it left him marveling. Glancing down at her slumbering face, he took in the delicate flush of her cheekbones, lush lashes fluttering against her cheeks, her pert nose and those soft, full lips. She was...resplendent.

He burned for her again. She was everything he ever wanted...strong, intelligent, kind...and she was more than he thought he wanted. Adam should have been more than satisfied, at peace, and content after what had transpired between them, but...it had only made him want more. Taking the tips of his fingers, he ran them gently across her cheek. Sighing, she snuggled closer to him, warming his body and his heart. Whoever would have thought he would be a hearts and flowers kind of guy? He snorted softly at his own question. But now that he received a taste, he wanted it all and he craved it with her. There was nothing that was going to stand in the way of his hunger. Not anyone...not any secret.

JC jumped up on the bed and lazily sauntered his way across Adam's chest, breaking him from his thoughts.

"Hey there big guy," Adam said softly. Careful not to wake Abigail, he reached up and scratched the tabby under his chin. The cat purred like a motorboat, arching up into his touch. His kneading paws punctured into his naked chest with his pleasure like he was making bread. Wincing at each pinch of his claws, Adam gently pushed him off, but not before JC got the last word by ripping a foul smelling shot of noxious gas.

"Dammit, JC," he groaned, tilting his head away as far from the smell as humanely possible. But, it was to no avail. It clung to the air like smog, permeating everything in its wake.

Abigail grunted, her sweet face and nose crinkling up in a frown as she blinked her grey eyes open.

"Holy crap on a cracker," she muttered, waving her hand furiously in front of her face.

Lifting her head off his chest, she gave him such a look of horror, he couldn't help but laugh.

"Don't look at me, baby," he snorted, pointing an accusatory finger at JC who simply sat there grooming himself. Oblivious to the fact he had emitted a fart so foul, it could have hospitalized a small child.