Chapter Sixty-Four

"I know I fell asleep on the plane but did I miss the part where we went back in time?" Abby asked, her eyes busily trying to take in and comprehend the beautiful castle-like structure jutting out of the landscape. It looked like something out of one of those fairytales Jo Jo was always trying to cram down her throat. All it needed was the appearance of a fairy Godmother, a few mice, and a pumpkin to turn into an elegant, gilded coach to whisk them to the ball.

Adam's chuckling had her tearing her gaze away from the fascinating weathered stone structure to one vastly better-looking. The smile on his handsome face made her heart skip in her chest as those whiskey-colored eyes looked at her with such warmth, her whole insides liquefied. His dark chocolate hair was a rumpled mess from not only the windy ride in the Jeep but from his adorable habit of rubbing his palms through it when he was frustrated or deep in thought. A small fissure of guilt cracked inside her gut. She had been the cause of a lot of that stress and disappointment, and because of her, it was surprising he still had any hair left on his handsome head. The memory of the hurt sweeping across his face from her bitter words was something she wouldn't soon forget. She cringed as a wave of shame added to the guilt, making her feel slightly nauseous.

"It does seem that way, doesn't it?" He looked up at the building, before turning his gaze back her way. The pride evident on his face. "But, I assure you, as tedious as the plane ride felt, we didn't break the time continuum. This is my winery, Stonebach."

"You own a winery?" Abby felt her jaw fall open but was too stunned to bother scooping it back up.

A winery? She took in his slightly disheveled, but still perfect suit before glancing up at the structure time seemed to have forgotten in the past. Though it shouldn't shock her, after all, he was a very successful man of means, but somehow owning a winery didn't seem to fit with the man she knew. It was hard to believe the powerful, ruthless CEO from New York who was all Penthouses, luxurious boardrooms, and limousines would own what was basically a farm in the middle of nowhere Napa Valley.

Granted, this was no typical farm. This was a fancy one with its own castle, but, still...it was hard to imagine. Scrunching up her face, she scrutinized Adam, trying to picture him playing the role of Oliver Douglas. She attempted to imagine him sitting on top of a tractor, wearing a pair of bib overalls, tending to his grape vines while getting his well-manicured hands caked with dirt on his personal version of Green Acres. A small shiver trembled down her spine, and a dreamy sigh escaped her lips at the visual. Nothing she envisioned took away from the glory of this man, and it only enhanced his appeal. She suspected she could drape him in a potato sack and he would be able to pull it off with the same sexy debonair ease he did his expensive suits

"Always so surprised," Adam teased, giving her a slight wink. With graceful ease which constantly amazed her considering his size, he exited the Jeep. A few quick, relaxed strides brought him to her door, and he grandly opened it. Bowing deeply at the waist, he brushed a sophisticated hand through the air. "Welcome to my secret castle in California, baby."

Laughing, she daintily stepped out onto the cobblestoned drive. Once out of the car, the sight was even more breathtaking. Stonebach stood in the middle of a small forest of large, ancient looking oaks and redwoods. Their gnarled branches hung and covered over turrets and towers, shadowing gracefully arched windows. It was unlike anything she'd ever seen. She half expected to see knights in shining armor astride magnificent horses receiving some treasured tokens from stately damsels in pointed hats wearing gowns of highly embroidered colored fabric before heading out to slay a dragon to save the kingdom.

"Do you like it?" His arm snaked around her waist, drawing her to the rigid wall of his chest, and out of her daydream.

Abby laid her hand on his wrist where he held her. The one now devoid of the watch which encircled hers. With the tips of her fingers, she lightly traced the pale tan lines glowing white under the sun, allowing the heat of his body to radiate into her skin. A flash of arousal pulsed through her from the combination of his husky voice and simple touch. Closing her eyes, she leaned back into his solid frame, Adam's words from earlier drifting into her thoughts.