Chapter Forty-Nine

Holy crap on a cracker, the man was seriously trying to kill her. Although, Abby could think of a lot worse ways to go than dying by pleasure at the hands of Adam Steele. Not that she could actually summon the energy to think of them at the moment. Her brain, along with her body, had turned to mush. It was all she could do to pull steady steams of air into her lungs as she tried to slow her pounding heart.

"Sweet Jesus," Adam groaned in her ear before he pulled back and glanced down at her. A small stream of sweat rolled down his chiseled jaw and dripped onto her chest.

Sitting up slightly, he rolled on his back, taking her with him. The feeling of his cock slipping out of her made her body shudder and she gasped. Sliding his hands over her shoulders and down her arms, he pulled her across his body until she was resting with her head on his chest. His ribcage heaved in and out in rhythm with hers and she grinned, knowing he had been just as taken away by their lovemaking as she had.

Lifting her head, she placed a kiss on his sternum. The sweat coated her lips and she licked the salty sweet taste from them. The flavor of him on her tongue had her wishing she had the strength to move down and give him the same remarkable pleasure he had given her. In his arms, she wanted to give like she never had before, with anyone. She wanted to bring him to his knees, but right now, she was barely able to hold her head up.

Sinking back against him with a sated sigh, she would have to wait until she didn't feel like her limbs where made out of rubber bands. Even though it was hard to move, Abby managed to wrap her arms around his shoulders and hold on tight as their breathing returned to normal. The slow, methodical stroking of him brushing his hand over her head and down her back over and over again, sent a wave of emotions cascading through her as she absorbed each touch.

Closing her eyes, she wished once again time would come to a stop and the world would simply go away. She had so little physical contact over the years. Never letting anyone get close enough and keeping everyone at arms-length. Even poor Rodger hadn't been able to penetrate her walls, not completely. But, here and now, with Adam, reminded her how comforting cuddling with someone could be. How much she had missed human contact and how truly exhausted she was. Abby desperately wanted this part of her life back, but more than that, she wanted it with him.

You are the only fucking thing that matters. His words still echoed in her mind. Had he really meant them? Or were they only something he had blurted out in the heat of the moment? She wanted to believe him. In fact, it was surprising how much she wanted his words to be true. How much she wanted to be his. Abby felt more like a women in the short time she had known Adam than in all her 24 years of life. It was a powerful and addicting feeling knowing he wanted her. But, it was also dangerous.

Opening her eyes, she looked out into the dark New York skyline through the floor to ceiling windows. Dangerous because she was starting to need him too and there was no guarantee she would be able to keep him. Sure, he wanted her...sexually...he had never made no qualms about that. He'd been shockingly straight forward in his pursuit of her. But...was that enough when her heart was on the line? What Abby wanted most, went deeper than sex. She wanted his heart too.

A soft sigh escaped her lips. The only way she would be able to even think of getting what she wanted was to put an end to the man who was keeping her from it. Dean Swanson. In order to gain anything, she would have to defeat him. A trickle of fear ran up her spine. Snuggling deeper into Adam's arms, she let his strength seep in and fortify her resolve. She would win. No matter what. To save what she found in his arms, she would do anything. Even leave the best thing that ever happened to her if she had to. But dammit, she prayed it wouldn't come to that. Not now. Not when she might have actually found the one man she could possibly love the rest of her life.