Chapter Twenty-Seven

Abby frowned hard at her newly acquired phone, cussing the offending device under her breath. How dare he order her around like that? Who did he think he was? Oh...she snorted loudly...that's right, he's Mr. Adam Steele. She felt the sudden urge to snap the damn thing in half and leave it in the backseat of the car. Mumbling to herself, she turned it off with a flourish which did little to elevate her irritation and unceremoniously shoved it into her backpack. There it would stay out of sight and out of mind until she could figure out what to do about her persistent suitor.

Slipping out of the car, she gave the door a satisfactory slam, but her gratification was short lived when she heard the sound of driver's side window sliding down. Sighing deeply, she turned reluctantly around.

"What time do you wish for me to pick you up, Ms. Lane?"

"I don't," Abby snapped, adjusting her bag on her shoulder.

Erich made no reply, only continued to regard her expectantly. Abby rolled her eyes. She was acting like a petulant child, she knew that, but it was difficult not to when she was so angry over the sudden takeover of her life by his infuriating boss who didn't even deem it necessary to say goodbye. Flinching inwardly at the thought, she tramped down the hurt feeling it caused.

Smiling sweetly at Erich, she tried again. "I won't be requiring your services, thank you."

"Mr. Steele was very clear, ma'am." He turned his gaze to the windscreen, briefly before turning back to her. "I am to pick you up and deliver you home after work until his return."

His tone made her bristle. "And if I don't tell you what time I get off work?"

"I will sit in the parking lot and wait." Erich shrugged, quirking a bow at her.

"I hope you enjoy the wait then." Turning on her heel, she started marching towards the entrance of the Kit Cat Club. She was about half-way to the door, when her conscious woke up her guilt, making her shoulders sag in shame. Taking a steadying breath, she turned back around and walked up to the car. "I'm sorry," she apologized to Erich. "I'm just not use to...," she waved her hands around, encompassing everything around her, "any of this." Frustration making her voice crack.

"I understand, Ms. Lane." He grinned, slightly. "Mr. Steele can be a bit overpowering at times, but, I can tell you," Erich leveled his eyes at her, his expression serious, "he has only your best interests in mind."

Abby looked nervously at him. "Why? Why me, Erich?"

"That is something you will have to ask him." He gave her a small smile.

Shaking her head, Abby threw her hands up in the air. "I get off work at 11," she muttered.

Giving her a little nod, Erich rolled up the window and she watched him drive away. Her mind whirred crazily on how her life had suddenly become so out of control. One minute she had been living a boring, but somewhat safe life of complete anonymity and now...she felt like the wizard in the Wizard of Oz when the curtain fell. Exposed.

She could feel her resolve slipping further away each time she encountered his compelling presence. Surrendering little by little to the command that radiated out of the man in waves. Melting her determination with his touches and making her fall under the power of his lips, until she was nothing but quivering puddle of mush.

A beat up brown sedan pulled noisily into the parking lot, snapping her out of her thoughts. Shivering, she wrapped her arms around herself to block out the chill which wasn't caused by the weather and headed into the club.

Opening the door, she yelped in surprise when she was greeted with an exuberant bear hug from Trevor as he lifted her off her feet and spun her around in circles.