Chapter Seven

A/N: Heads up lovelies, may get a bit rough for some of you. Be brave, much love always. <3

“Your other glasses were always too impractical anyway, love.” Zayn’s Grandmother spoke lovingly, as she looked at her Grandson. Zayn was sat quietly on the kitchen counter. As a small child, whenever he was hurt after falling over when playing, she would bring him in here and place him on the counter. She would give him some words of encouragement as she placed a plaster over his tiny knees before delivering a kiss onto his forehead which made him feel all better. Yet, here they were. Her seventeen year old grandson was sat on the kitchen counter his long legs hanging off it, little sniffs often escaping from his nose as his hands stayed entwined together.

“They never stayed on your nose.” She said again, forcing a chuckle as she cleaned the spare pair of glasses she kept for Zayn at her house on a tea towel. Zayn was looking down at his knees and hadn’t made much eye contact with her, but a small smile started to show up on his legs.

“And you looked like Buddy Holly!” His Grandmother spoke up once again, before she reached over with her spare hand and tickled his knee a little. Zayn’s knee wriggled and caused the rest of his body to follow suit, as a wider smile fell onto his lips.

“Come on, handsome boy, look at your Nana.” She smiled softly, once she had cleaned the spare pair of glasses. She turned to face him, and Zayn slowly looked up at her, a small smile on his lips. She smiled lovingly at her darling grandson, before she placed his glasses back over his eyes. He gave a small smile and his shoulders relaxed from a tensed state. She knew that she had to get her grandson to talk to get him to fully relax.  

She patted his cheek lovingly, before she walked over to the kettle and switched it on so she could make them both a cup of tea.

“I’m surprised you made it over here without your glasses. Your eyesight must be getting better, love!” She spoke lightly, as she turned around to look at him. He gave a slight shrug. She smiled at him, then turned away to hide the heartbreak that was hidden deep in her eyes. She loved her Grandson dearly, and it hurt him to see him hurting.

It was hard enough being a teenager who didn’t understand what went on around him. She didn’t have to be with him 24/7 to understand how his mind worked. She knew he kept himself to himself due to how confusing the other people were around him. She knew that Zayn didn’t understand what he was, and who he was. That’s what was sad; he was so busying trying to understand the people around him that he didn’t realise that it was himself that others didn’t understand. His autism caused him to take himself away from others. The big world was scary for Zayn, or any other with Zayn’s condition, but the last thing he needed was what he went through day after day at home.

Zayn didn’t understand why his Father would throw hard punches into his face, and he never would. Just like Zayn’s parents would never truly understand what was wrong with Zayn.

“Tom the cat brought a little mouse in yesterday! I never got round to catching it, the lucky thing got away quickly before my poor, old man could get to him.” She spoke, changing the subject completely, for both of their sake’s. Zayn’s head finally perked up.

“A mouse?” Zayn asked innocently, looking up at his Nana with a small smile. She nodded with a smile.

“Yes, a mouse! Only a tiny little thing, that’s all they ever are, barely bigger than the size of an egg. But Tom dropped him by my feet and whoosh, off the little blighter scurried. I can hear him squeaking sometimes. Go and see if you can hear him in the living room.” She encouraged him, before she watched as he nodded eagerly and jumped off the counter, before he rushed into the front room, his drawing book firmly in his hands.