Chapter Fourteen

Like any Mother with a teenage son, when Anne Cox walked through the front door of her family home, she wasn’t surprised to be met with shouts and yells from her own teenage son, drifting through the walls of their home. When Harry had had his driving lesson, this lesson his most successful yet due to the amount of praise that he had received from his driving instructor, he had come home and texted Louis about it, but his best friend had texted him back with a demand for him to go on the newest Call Of Duty game that both boys had a copy of. Funnily enough, both boys brought it for the other at Christmas.

Harry’s bedroom was a medium size, although the double bed that was by the window seemed to dominate most of the space of his room. The walls were a pale blue colour, and still had some of the war scars from Harry’s childhood, like the scribbles on the wall made from a range of coloured wax crayons, or the small dents where he had jumped off his bed and hit his elbow or knee against the wall. Harry’s bedroom had been through a lot. His walls had been either empty or covered until they were suffocated with posters, before sooner or later the phase passed and the walls were once allowed to breathe again. At this current moment, his walls were a good balance of empty and full. The walls were clear, but there were a couple of band posters on one wall, near to his small TV, and then there was a pin board full of photos on another wall. It was just a normal room for a normal guy.

There was a large, blue bean bag at the bottom of Harry’s bed, which the boy was sprawled upon, as he looked up at his TV, which was stuffed onto an old TV stand that his step-father had found at a car boot sale. Alongside it were piles of videogame cases, odd bottles of deodorant, and of course, his beloved game consoles. Harry’s room wasn’t exactly the cleanest, which drove his Mother insane, but it could have been worse. His Mother hadn’t seen Louis’ bedroom before, and Harry persuaded her that for her own safety and peace of mind she should steer clear of his best friend’s bedroom. When Harry’s Mum walked into the room when she had arrived home from work, Harry had been lazily chewing on a couple of Doritos, as he stared at the screen in front of him.

“Harry?” Anne started, but Harry was too sucked into the game. He was trying to figure out what side Louis was on. Louis always had a habit of changing a battle plan without telling Harry, or any other of the boys that were playing. She rolled her eyes and walked further into her son’s room, picking up a stray hoodie that had made it’s way onto the floor.

“Harry!” She called a bit louder, and Harry mumbled a ‘hold on’ into the headset that he was talking to Louis in, before he pulled it from his head and looked up at his Mum, who was stood above him with her arms crossed against her chest. He smiled innocently, with a weird feeling that he was in trouble.

“Oh good, you can hear me now.” She chuckled, before she sat on the edge of Harry’s bed, as her hands slowly folded the hoodie in her hands.

“So can Louis…not that he’d listen anyway, he never listens to anyone.” Harry replied with a slight smirk, knowing that his best friend will have heard his words and yet Harry would not hear Louis’ protests about them.

“Yes, well, would you mind telling Louis that I want to talk to you for a few minutes?” She chuckled, and Harry repeated those words before pausing the game properly and looking back up at her.

“You’re still friends with Zayn, aren’t you, Harry? You know, Zayn Malik?” She asked, a small smile on her face even though her brown eyes showed Harry just how curious she really was. Harry gulped a little, and could already hear his conscience start to rumble in his head like an oncoming thunderstorm.

“Yeah, Mum.” He spoke quickly, even though he knew that he couldn’t be classed as Zayn’s friend. Only hours before he had rushed away from him as Zayn had hugged him for being seen. Zayn really did not deserve Harry as a friend; at all.