Chapter Eighteen

Quiet, sweet mumbles fell from Zayn Malik’s lips as his feet walked along the path. Each bird that flew over him seemed to join in with his little song as he walked away from his Nana’s house, as if they wanted to join in with his happiness. Everytime a bird would fly over him, its sweet voice would pierce Zayn’s ears, as if they were filling in the high notes for him, like a beautiful little duo. Each time the small birds would do so, Zayn’s brown eyes would twinkle in wonder, as they followed the small birds around the blue sky before they would fly off, and Zayn would be walking down the pavement on his own again. Not that the boy minded, the wide smile on his face and the way his every other step was a small skip was evidence enough.

Zayn had just had a cup of tea and a slice of cake with his Nana. She had sat on the sofa, watching him with loving eyes as he went on and on about his first kiss with Harry. The smile on her face had been wide, her heart bursting with happiness that her beloved Grandson had received what had sounded like a perfect first kiss with a perfect boy. From the minute that he had walked into her house, she had known what had happened.

“Your cheeks…look how glowing they are.” She had chuckled, as her old hand had grazed gently against her Grandson’s soft cheekbones. Zayn had immediately burst out into a giggle, his face subconsciously snuggling into the warmth of his Nana’s hand, his mind comparing it against Harry’s hands.

“Nana, you can’t tell anybody!” Zayn’s delighted voice had staged whispered, as he threw his bags down onto the floor. His Grandmother had been surprised at how he had thrown the bag down with no care, but he quickly ducked down and rearranged it so it was upright and stood against the wall, before he had taken her hand and pulled her into the living room.

“What’s the rush, sweet?” She had asked with a chuckle, before Zayn had pulled them both onto the living room.

“And what is this secret?” His Nana had lowered her voice into a sweet whisper, which had caused Zayn to smile widely. Even thought they were in an empty bungalow, Zayn still whispered to her, which made his Grandmother’s heart swell in affection.

“Promise you won’t tell?” Zayn’s voice whispered over once again, as he leant closer to her. His eyes had twinkled in delight as his mind had ran over the kiss once again, and even though he hadn’t told his Nana yet, she already knew. She could read it all over his face.

“Of course I won’t tell, darling, now what is it?” She asked, her gentle chuckle hiding her impatience. She knew what she was going to hear, but it didn’t make her any less excited about it.

“Nana…Harry kissed me!” Zayn whispered, before his hands tightened around his Grandmother’s in excitement. His Nana had smiled widely and let out an excited squeal, which had made the pair of them break out into giggles together.

“How perfect! You’re first kiss, my dear.” She told him, and he nodded excitedly before an innocent sigh left his lips, as his big brown eyes wandered around the room, picking up the details of the pink and yellow flowers on his Grandmother’s old wallpaper, before he had looked back at her.

“So perfect, Nana, Harry is perfect!” Zayn burst out excitedly, causing his Grandmother to burst into more giggles, as she expected the boy in front of her to explode into a firework at any minute.

“His hands were holding mine, like this,” Zayn started, before he looked down and slotted his fingers inbetween his Nana’s, making sure that their hands were identical to how Harry’s and Zayn’s were held, something that the boy’s big brown eyes had picked up even if Harry hadn’t noticed.

“And then he said that he wanted me to be his first kiss, and that it was like Lady and the Tramp!” Zayn giggled excitedly, and his Nana had had to resist the urge to coo at the adorableness that she was dying to express.