Chapter Thirty Seven

The ticking hands of the clocks around the school seemed to tick away at a pace no one could keep up with. Days fell past as the sixth form students had come to the run up of their exams. Students from both years twelve and thirteen had crammed revision into their minds as much as possible, and the exam weeks had flown by, much to the students’ relief. Lesson timetables flew by each day as the sun started to shine brighter and warmer, and soon enough, the school term was over in the end of July. Six long, sunny weeks were laid out ahead of them, and since Harry Styles had passed his driving test with flying colours only a week before they broke up for school, the summer was looking pretty promising.

Another promising aspect in Harry’s life was the beautiful brown-eyed boy that seemed to creep into his mind every minute of his day. Zayn Malik didn’t tend to leave Harry’s mind that much, and after almost a month of dating, the two didn’t seem to be leaving the newly dating phase. Stolen kisses were taken at any chance, the thrill of pushing Zayn up against a locker and nibbling on his bottom lip and rushing off before anyone could see them gave Harry such excitement, and seeing Zayn blushing and looking flustered from the passionate attack to his lips always left a cocky smirk on Harry’s face. Knowing he made Zayn blush in such a way really did make the situation all too irresistible for him.

Of course, all of the sneaking around still had the same thundering effect on Harry’s conscience, he was just getting better at pushing the storm of guilt away, into a box in the pit of his soul. He tried to concentrate on the blissful giggles that would slip from Zayn’s mouth whenever they would pass in a busy corridor and Harry would take advantage of the crowds to pat the boy’s bum as he walked past. Zayn was happy, and so was he, so he didn’t understand why his conscience still seemed to be at such a war with him. Most couples started out in secret, it was common, but Harry’s conscience couldn’t stop but grumble about how Harry wasn’t keeping it a secret for the sake of the relationship, which would cause the curly haired lad to growl and push the thoughts away.

As Harry sat in his small, secondhand car with Louis Tomlinson, he realised that this was another one of those occasions where his conscience would be viciously trodden on mentally. 

“Are you staying over on the night of Liam’s seventeenth?” Louis questioned, looking at Harry with those demanding misty eyes of his. Harry gave a small shrug.

“Probably.” He answered shortly, his mind trying to convince him not to bother. Over the last month, Liam and Harry’s friendship had been on strange terms.

Some days, Harry would receive some words or a greeting, and there was one occasion when Liam had pushed one of his books into Harry’s hand with a mumble about how good it was. Other days Harry hadn’t even been graced enough with a brown-eyed look from the boy. One day, Liam was on, the next, he was off. It was typical Liam behaviour, but it had never really gone on this long before, and Harry was growing tired of it. He didn’t want to spend a night at a house party in honour of seventeen years of Liam Payne’s moods; he wanted to spend it with the other brown-eyed boy that ruled his life. Of course, that would only cause chaos.

“Well, what are you going to wear, atleast? Liam said just normal like, casual wear but I’m not showing up in any old jeans or shirt.” Louis rambled on, and Harry gave him a slight glance of worry before looking back to the road.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he’ll let you wear your newest Chanel.” Harry spoke. His voice was low in concentration as he drove through the traffic around him. Louis snapped a quick look at him, his brow furrowed in annoyance.

“Are you calling me gay?” Louis snapped, his voice almost venomous. Harry rolled his eyes. He was used to Louis, and Andy’s, lack of tolerance for both his and Liam’s homosexuality. Both boys respected it, they just didn’t have a filter on it.