Chapter Forty Five

Zayn Malik sat on the wall outside of the school gates for a good hour until he saw the curly haired figure of his prince walk out of the school gates. His sketchbooks had been on his lap, his precious drawing book on top of them, and he had been holding onto them with a protectiveness that a Mother bird would have over her chicks. His glasses kept falling down his nose everytime he looked down to check they were still on his lap, which they always were, and he had to use the back of his hand to push them back up everytime he looked back up to see if he could spot Harry Styles approaching him yet.

A few cars went by, a metallic blue one catching Zayn’s eye the most due to the intriguing colour of it. Then, the school bell had rung out, wishing goodbye to all of it’s students for the night, and a few of the teachers that didn’t have to stay behind to create various lesson plans. Zayn had sat on the little wall and watched as all of the students left the school, his big brown eyes darting carefully over every tall brunette boy he spotted in a sixth form blazer. He’d sat there for almost an hour before his successful spotting.

Zayn’s smile broke onto his face and he pushed himself up from the wall, pulling his sketchbooks to his chest as he looked over Harry hopefully. He wriggled his school blazer sleeves to his elbows, telling himself sternly to remember to keep them there at all times. He stood and waited for Harry to glance over at him, and even waved a little to try and get the boy’s attention. His prince charming didn’t even look up as he walked down the path on the other side of the road.

Zayn held his sketchbooks close as he walked over to the curb, glanced for cars, before rushing across the road, his legs trying to reach his boyfriend’s fast pace. He squeaked a little, growing out of breath from the fast pace that he had been walking in. Harry’s brown curls were bobbing a little as he walked, and Zayn quickly imagined all of the photos that he had seen of exotic seaweed in magazines as it was rolled along by the ocean current. He smiled a little. His boyfriend’s backpack had been newly written on by some of his friends; little nicknames that Zayn didn’t recognise were all written in black and blue ink.

Zayn couldn’t help but smile as he saw how the bottom of his Harry’s school trousers were too long and kept catching the back of his school shoes, a sign that his boyfriend had had another growth spurt and had needed new trousers because of it. Zayn felt his heart swoon a little, a feeling that always made a blush grow on his cheeks, a silent giggle rise in the back of his throat.

He finally caught up with Harry, giving a squeak of relief, as he didn’t have to pace after him anymore. He took his hand and entwined them both, looking up at him with a small smile. His boyfriend jumped out of his skin, his hand slipping out of Zayn’s hold. The raven-haired lad looked worried for a moment as he looked at Harry’s tired face and wide eyes.

“Jesus, Zayn, you scared the shit out of me…” Harry sighed, ruffling his hair up with the hand that Zayn had tried to latch himself onto.

“Do I need a bell?” Zayn’s voice asked quietly, as his brown eyes looked over Harry’s face apologetically for scaring him. He hadn’t wanted to scare him, just walk with him, and hold his hand. Harry frowned a little in confusion, looking ahead of him as if to process what his boyfriend had said, before looking sideward into his face.

“No…you don’t need a bell.” Harry replied, still frowning a little. The curly haired lad wasn’t confused, he was just recalling how the more immature of the boys from his school often chided Zayn about needing a bell around his neck, a cruel joke. He hated the fact that Zayn didn’t even understand it was a joke. 

“Look, fluff, I just want to be alone tonight, I’m frustrated and...yeah.” Harry sighed, shoving his hands into his pockets and looking into Zayn’s eyes. Zayn’s face dropped a little, but he nodded all the same, clutching his sketchbooks closer to him.