Chapter Twenty One

Zayn Malik had been busily drawing in his precious drawing book, underneath the window of the art closet when Harry had walked inside, fifteen minutes after Zayn had arrived there. Zayn had immediately looked up at him with a wide smile, and Harry reciprocated the smile, as he closed the art closet door and made his way over to the small couch cushions. The temperature of the room was much more bearable today than it had been the last time that the two boys had been in here, but it was still warm enough for Harry to pull his blazer off before sitting next to Zayn with a slight sigh or delight.

“What are you drawing today, babe?” Harry’s voice was cheerful, as he leaned over a little, and his emerald eyes looked over at Zayn’s drawing book. Zayn smiled widely and stopped drawing for a moment, so that he could show off the drawing of a flower that he had been doing, his mind had been thinking back to the rows of colourful flowers in his Nana’s garden, all the bright petals and the beautiful colours, and now Zayn was recording them. Each detail was still bright and clear in his mind, even though it had been almost half a week since he had last seen the flowers.

“Aww wow, that looks awesome, Zayn! You’re so amazing at drawing it’s unreal…” Harry gasped, as he gently took the drawing book from Zayn so that he could look at the drawing much more properly. He wanted to take in every detail. It was just so amazing he couldn’t believe it. Harry could never get over how something as small and innocent as Zayn could produce such work that it would make whoever painted the Mona Lisa feel like shit. 

“Thanks, Harry.” Zayn spoke happily, his small cheeks blushing a little as he took his drawing book from Harry. Harry let him take the book back, even though he wanted nothing more than to look through Zayn’s works, but of course, they were Zayn’s, and he knew how much the book meant to him, as Zayn closed it gently as it sat on his lap.

“No problem…so how was your weekend?” Harry asked, before his green eyes finally looked up at Zayn’s face properly. The two boys sat next to each other so closely in the small art closet that when they looked at each other their faces were always only a small space apart. This was how Harry finally saw the large bruise on Zayn’s jaw. It was a mixture of blue, purple and yellow, with tiny speckles of red in places. Harry immediately sucked in a breath in shock. How had he not noticed the huge bruise the minute he walked in the room?

Harry immediately regretted the question he had asked to the younger boy. By the large bruise it was obvious what had happened on his weekend. While Harry had been tugging Louis through the superstore and then working his weekend away, it seemed that Zayn had ran into some kind of trouble. As the green eyes went back to looking at the bruise, the curly haired lad couldn’t help but wish that Zayn had done something stupid like tripped over a magazine on the floor and face planted the floor, but the cynic inside him knew it wasn’t true. The cynic inside him knew that Zayn hadn’t fallen onto the floor, he’d fallen onto someone’s fist, or foot.

Zayn must not have noticed Harry staring at the large bruise on his face. Even though Harry made it fairly noticeable that he was staring at first, Zayn didn’t notice. He just noticed how nice Harry smelt, how warm he felt, how green his eyes were. Zayn never noticed what Harry was doing, he was too busy looking at just Harry. He loved to look at Harry, he liked picking up one small details that he may not have noticed before, so that when he drew the boy, he could draw the small details and improve Harry’s perfect face on his drawing.

“My weekend was nice.” Zayn smiled, looking back down at his drawing book as Harry’s green eyes stared at him. Zayn’s toes tapped a little in his black school shoes before he looked back up at Harry with that ever-innocent smile on his face. Harry cleared his throat for a moment, a slight frown etched onto his face as he turned away from Zayn, but he quickly forced the frown away.