Fourteen

"Excuse me?"

"Be careful who you trust. Not everyone is doing good in the world, not everyone is in love with the chosen one" the woman whispered, I don't know who she was or what she was doing in my room. Or how she knows about the 'chosen' one business.

"Okay first" I began, pulling the covers off me even more to get a clearer view on this woman "Who are you? and second why do people keep calling me the chosen one?"

The woman chuckled as if she found my irritation amusing "You know me Elyza, you know me more than you think. I'm always with you, always around you. After all, I am part of the family"

And then it clicked. Like a hit in the stomach, a light illuminating a dark room, two words rolled off the tip of my tongue so silently it was barely above a whisper "Grandma Vera"

~*~

I woke up the next morning feeling gross and tired, my bruises and cuts had healed. My wings had healed, even though I was as good as new even though I didn't feel like it.

I rolled over and snatched my ringing phone from the bed side table and slammed it against my ear without reading who the caller was "Hello?"

"Picking you up in a an hour babe"

"Mel?" I croaked.

She giggled "The one and only, don't you dare say no because I haven't seen you in weeks and I miss you"

I smiled into the phone "Yeah okay, I'll get ready"

She screamed into the phone and giggled before ending the call. I slid out of bed and forced myself to stay awake as I waltzed into the bathroom, I glanced at my reflection in the mirror and almost did a double take. I could see myself yes, my greasy brown hair, my blotchy cheeks and tired blue eyes. But most importantly I saw the horrid symbol from last night written in blood red; it was lipstick thank God.

About ten of them all around the mirror, some big some small but they were the same. The image of C| was engraved in my head. To make it worse my hands were covered in red, staining my fingers, my arms and causing panic to course through veins. Did I do this? Did I wake up and vandalise the bathroom?

On reflex I grabbed a towel and wiped off every symbol off the mirror before running my hands in warm water and watching blood red stream down and into the drain.

Now I need to get through the day without drawing another symbol.

I quickly got washed and dressed, feeling to sick to put on make up so I left it. Mom was back so was Dad, I heard her singing in the kitchen and I heard him chuckle too. As I crept down the stairs, careful not to disturb them, I peered from the kitchen door even though they were oblivious to my presence.

Mom was singing, baking pancakes, the sweet scent smelt like home and the warmth made me feel happy, very happy. She giggled as Dad wrapped his arms around her waist in attempt to grab the cooking stick from her claiming she was 'cooking them wrong' but mom wouldn't stand for it, she pinched his nose which smudged flour all over his pale nose.

They were so drunk in love with each other. So in love, it was as if no one could be more perfect for each other, mom's eyes sparkled, she grinned ear to ear. But watching them made me think of Noah, whether my growing feelings for him were real or not, I thought about his smile how it earned my heart. His comforting arms around me dissolving every inch of fear I would have in my body.

His soft chocolate eyes which looked at me as if I was the only one he saw, the only one he cared about; the only one he loved.

But it wasn't real. It was just his Saccubus powers fooling me and I think that's what caused the sharp pain in my heart.