Removing Scars

Hermione's POV

When I finish writing my history of magic essay (which it's due until next week but I wanted to get ahead) I look up at the clock above the fireplace. I am shocked to see that it is 10:50. Usually, Draco would have come down so that we could do our rounds by now. He's probably just lost track of time or fallen asleep or something.

I pack up my things and neatly stack everything on the table. I walk over to the stairs to Draco's room and I start climbing the stairs.

'Draco,' I call out as I am outside the door because I don't want to just barge into his room. 'We need to go do our rounds.'

When there is no answer I decide to just walk in because the door is ajar. When I step into the room, which is a mirror image of my own, there is no one inside.

That leaves two options. Either that he is in the bathroom or he managed to sneak out while I wasn't watching.

'Draco,' I call out again as I walk towards the bathroom door. I try to turn the door handle and it isn't locked. I keep calling Draco's name.

The first thing I see is the blood.

Then I see Draco lying on the floor with a silver knife next to him.

I let out an involuntary gasp when I see the huge chunk that has been taken out of his left arm. I don't allow myself to think about it, right now I just have to help Draco.

I try to seal the huge wound in his arm with a quick spell but it doesn't have any effect. I panic a bit because that is the first time my magic has failed me but I don't completely lose my head.

I transfigure one of the towels that is hanging on the railing into a long bandage which I grab and begin to tie tightly around the wound in Draco's arm, suddenly glad that I took a muggle first aid course.

I then transfigure the other towel into a stretcher and levitate Draco onto it.

I run out of the common room with my wand out to support Draco on the stretcher. I take the stairs two at a time on the spiral staircase not caring if I fall but going as fast as I can without running the stretcher into the wall.

He can't die. I need him. I don't know why but I need him.

I sprint down the short corridor to the hospital wing, only stopping when I come to the large double doors. I begin to pound on the door to wake Madam Pomfrey, not caring who else I wake up.

I look back at Draco's motionless body which is even paler than normal. It is then that I notice the tears falling down my face.

I hear a gasp from behind me and I turn around to see Madam Pomfrey at the door.

'Oh dear,' she says taking her wand out. She guides the floating stretcher over to one of the beds and I follow her. When Draco is lying on the bed she unwraps the now blood-soaked bandage from his arm and gasps again. Immediately she starts muttering spells and then she starts summoning potions and healing ointments from the cupboard.

I sit in the chair next to Draco's bed but Madam Pomfrey ignores me. Her first priority is the patient; she will ask questions later.

I take Draco's right hand in mine but it is cold. I put my fingers around his wrist and feel a pulse, a faint beating of hope.

But what if he's just lost too much blood? What if he doesn't wake up. What if there are no more early morning greetings in the common room, casual conversations as we walk down to breakfast or whispered jokes in arithmancy? There isn't anyone else who can give me decent feedback when they read over my essays or who will sit down and study with me for hours. If he's gone, who will come to comfort me when I've woken up after a nightmare? Who else will understand?

There is a damp patch on the sheets from the tears that trail down my face and then splash down onto the bed.

He must've tried to remove the dark mark from his arm. He tried to get rid of the scar that reminded him of his past, but that's what scars are for, to remind you.

I pull up the sleeve of my own left arm to see the red marks that spell out "mudblood". Every day it reminds me of all the pain I have been through to get to this point. But I do not think I can take much more pain.

This is not fair. I have already lost enough people that I love. I can't lose Draco too.

'Miss. Granger,' I am startled when I hear the soft voice but I look up to see that it is only Madam Pomfrey. 'I suggest you leave now, I have done all I can for Mr Malfoy now all that is left is to see if he makes it through the night.' She has stepped back from the bed and is wiping her hands on her apron.

'I'm not leaving him,' I say firmly.

The matron purses her lips for a second but decides that she won't argue.

"Very well. I will be in my office if you need me,' and with that, she leaves the room.

I will stay here for as long as I have to. I won't leave him. I can't lose him. I can't lose anyone else that I love.