Gossip

I am so busy with my classes, homework and prefect duties that it isn't until Friday night that I get to talk with Ginny about what happened with Ron. Things have been even more awkward between Ron and me lately. Multiple times I have caught him staring at me before he quickly looks away but we haven't said much more than a quick 'hi' as we pass each other in the corridors. I wish things could go back to the way things were between us.

My one shred of hope is that Ginny will give me some good advice about what to do. She was always better than me when it came to these things.

It is after dinner and Draco and I are just finishing up the prefect meeting. We have finalised the plans for the Hogsmeade trip which is in two weeks and we have started to plan the decorations for the Halloween feast which is the day before Hogsmeade.

'Okay, I think that everything guys,' I say and everyone takes this as their queue to stand up. 'Don't forget the extra meeting on Sunday to organise putting the Halloween decorations up around the school,' I have to almost shout to get people to hear me.

I notice that Ron rushes out of the common room with everyone else, avoiding me. I heave a sigh of frustration but I decide not to follow him.

Harry and Ginny appear out of the crowd and wait to speak to me.

'It'll be fine 'Mione,' Harry reassures me, 'He'll get over it.'

I just shrug. 'I hope so.'

'Well I have a potions essay that I want to at least start tonight,' Harry says. 'We have the first game of the season this weekend so I won't have time to finish it tomorrow.'

'I've done enough work that I can finish the rest on Sunday so I think I'll stay here and talk with 'Mione for a bit,' Ginny responds.

'Well, I'll leave you girls then. I'll be in the library if you're looking for me.'

Ginny and I say goodbye to Harry and he leaves down the staircase.

'Well, do you want to come up to my room for a bit?' I ask Ginny.'

'Sure,' she giggles.

Draco has already seated himself in his armchair and has brought out a pile of notes to look through.

He looks up at us as we cross the room. 'Don't worry I know enough not to disturb you two.'

That sets both Ginny and me off and we giggle our way up the stairs. Once we get to my room I flop myself down on my bed and give a sigh.

'Oh Ginny, why is my life so complicated.'

'Don't ask me. What with Ron being an idiot, you being so busy all the time yet somehow still keeping up your amazing grades I honestly don't understand your life anymore. Oh, and what's going on with you a Draco?'

'Nothing's "going on" with Draco and me,' I say quickly, miming quotation marks with my fingers.

'Oh really? Then why did the two of you keep glancing at each other all during the meeting and why on earth did you skip class in order to sit by his bed? You never skip class, even when you're sick.'

'Well, I don't know what was going through my head. I was really shocked and confused. Madam Pomfrey sounded like she didn't know if he would wake up and I just wanted to know that he was going to be okay.'

'Ah but that just proves my point, I think you like him.'

'Ginny... how?.. no...'

'More importantly,' she interrupts my stammering, 'I think he likes you.'

'But why? How?'

'I catch him looking at you all the time and he always seems happier when he's talking to you. Honestly, you seem happier when you're talking to him.'

'But Ginny seriously, that's only because I'm the only person he really talks to now and everyone's happier when they're talking to a friend.'

'I seriously reckon you guys would be the best couple.'

'Ginny you're not even listening to me.'

'You are literally perfect for each other, both really smart and you've been through a lot.'

'Ginny stop. Anyway, I have to sort out my issues with Ron first.'

'Oh forget about Ron, if he sees you with Draco he'll finally give up on you and move on.'

'I just feel so bad about Ron though. You of all people should know what it's like to love someone who doesn't love you back.'

'Yeah, but I knew that it wouldn't do me any good to just to sit there hoping.'

'Doesn't stop me feeling bad about it. It's still my fault he's upset and won't talk to me.'

'But Hermione, it's okay to realise that you don't love him in that way anymore. You would have hurt him more if you told him later. He'll get over it, find another girl and things will go back to normal.

'Oh Ginny, my life's never been normal.'

We stay up until quarter to ten talking. It's almost curfew for Ginny and she wants to get a decent sleep before the quidditch game tomorrow: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. Ginny keeps bringing up Draco and how he and I should be a couple but I keep changing the subject.

As I walk down the stairs with her I suddenly think about the upcoming Hogsmeade trip.

'Hey Gin, what do you want to do for the Hogsmeade trip.'

'Oh Hermione I'm really sorry but I promised Harry I'd spend at least half the day just with him. We can definitely meet up in the three broomsticks for lunch though. Do you know anyone else you can go with.'

'It's okay I'll figure something out.'

I put on a smile and try to sound like I'm not bothered but as I close the door behind Ginny I can't help but feel slightly anxious at the thought of spending a Hogsmeade morning by myself.

'You were up there a while,' Draco comments as I sit down in my chair, 'how do you find so much to talk about?'

'Oh trust me girls are good at finding things to talk about,' I reply.

'Well all I could hear was a lot of gigging and the occasional squeal, though,' he looks up and smirks at me, 'I know better than to ask what that was about.'

'Too right you do,' I shoot back. 'Anyway, I'm tired, I'm going to bed.'

'Okay, goodnight.'

'Night.'

Despite how tired I am I have trouble falling asleep. My mind is whirling, dreaming. Now that someone other than myself has suggested it I can't help but wonder if it could be possible. What if Draco and I became a couple? What would it be like to always have his hand in mine, rest my head on his chest, feel his lips on my cheek?